Staying Alive: Wellness Center offers CPR training

Gracie Nelson, Reporter

Interested in learning a potentially life-saving skill? CPR training is being offered at the SDSU Wellness Center for students and community members. 

Justin Colf, the Community Fitness Coordinator at the Student Wellness Center, works hard to teach students and the public how to assess the situation and keep a person alive. 

Every month, Colf hosts a CPR class, including how to perform CPR, use an AED (automated external defibrillator) and stop bleeding. 

Colf awards a certification that lasts two years. Anyone can enter the course, including the community and students. The cost of these classes is $50 for members and $65 for non-members of the wellness center.

“You’d rather have the skill and not need it than not have the skill and do need it,” Colf said. 

The next available class is from 3-5 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 19.

To register for this class, go to wellnesscenter.sdstate.edu, click on “Programs,” click “Instructional” and then click on “Adult/Pediatric First Aid CPR/AED.” From there, you will register and do an interactive online program before you attend the in-person class. 

“I do recommend that people sign up for the classes early because if you wait until the last minute, there may not be a spot for you,” Colf said. 

The class is broken up between a roughly two-hour-long online program and two hours of in-person class. Colf sees this as beneficial so a person will not need to set aside a whole day for one class.