VSB looking for help

The Volunteer Service Bank (VSB) in Brookings is always looking for volunteer help and South Dakota State University students are signing on help. Students realize that volunteer experience gives them a jump-start on the job market after graduation. According to Don Boone, coordinator for the VSB in Brookings County, “Many employers look at (volunteering) when students apply for a job as something extra they give to the community.” He said that students also get a feeling of goodwill and the satisfaction of helping someone who needs help.

As the volunteer coordinator, Boone matches volunteers with activities that coordinate the person’s interests and talents. Many students sign on as volunteers, and work in the local schools as tutors or as mentors for a child who needs someone to look up to. The VSB provides an escort and transport program for folks who need radiation treatments and other specialist visits in Sioux Falls, and also for local transport for medical reasons in Brookings.

The VSB is located at the county resource center, Swiftel Center in Brookings. All dormitories have had a bright light green sign-up sheet for SDSU students interested in volunteering. For more information, call the VSB at 692-6102.

Volunteer Service BankBrookings