Is congress cutting education funding?

Letter To The Editor

Letter To The Editor

Currently, The U.S. House of Representatives is trying to reduce the deficit, and they’re asking students to bear the load through the reauthorization of the Higher Education Act (H.R. 609). This bill, by some estimates, would cut $11 billion from the federal student loan program. However, it would also raise the maximum Pell Grant by $200 … over the next six years. That’s not even enough to keep up with inflation, let alone the rising cost of college. This Republican bill is going against the very nature of the Higher Education Act as it was established in 1965. Then, the goal was to increase access and affordability of higher education. Now, as the Republicans would have it, higher education seems to be a treat left for the rich. I rely on federal aid. My sister, a freshman, relies on federal aid. And my brother, who is still in high school, will also need aid. However, if this bill passes, if education is abandoned in order to balance the budget, my brother and sister may have to look elsewhere for support. Congress, in proposing this bill, is gambling with the very future of the nation. They seem to forget that without their own education, they would not hold their offices today. They would not have been successful. This country needs educated individuals to keep it running and we, as college students must make our congressmen and congresswomen realize that, or else they will forfeit the future of America. For more information visit www.studentaidalliance.org.

Derek MeyersPolitical Science and English Major