Campus organizations battle weekend boredom

Jason Mann

Jason Mann

In response to the lack of university-sponsored events on the weekends, several student organizations came together with the goal to change things.

Multicultural Affairs, Residential Life, UPC and The Union have come together to sponsor a new activity at SDSU called Weekend Stuff.

So far, the most well-known Weekend Stuff event is Friday Night Flicks. They show recently released movies in the Performing Arts Center for free. The movies usually start at 9 p.m.

“My friends and I like it when the Weekend Stuff has stuff planned for the weekend. We have gone to most of the movies and we have enjoyed most of them,” said freshman graphic design major Kat VanWyhe.

Participation in the events is steadily growing as word gets out. While the Friday Night Flicks are the most popular, UPC advisor Nick Wendell said they recently sold out a trip to the Omaha Zoo.

Nate Kropuenske, a freshman communication studies and theatre major, has also enjoyed Weekend Stuff. He’s not sure if it has helped to keep any students on campus so far, but says it is a positive thing.

“It was a good time,” he said.

Wendell said the purpose of Weekend Stuff isn’t necessarily to create new events for the weekend, but to help promote events university groups are already sponsoring. Later this month, Chicanos in Action is sponsoring the “Fiesta Latina” dance in Volstorff Ballroom.

He said the initial goal of Weekend Stuff was to give the kids who stay on campus on the weekends something to do, but they also believe that it may give kids who go home most weekends an incentive to stay at SDSU.

Students don’t have to look too far to find out what Weekend Stuff is sponsoring each weekend. According to Adam Karnopp, assistant director of The Union, the group goes to great lengths to advertise. They use slightly larger than usual fliers and a huge banner in the Market to jump out at students. Weekend Stuff also advertises heavily in the residence halls. Students can check out the Today at State and Mystate Online calendars to see what’s happening throughout the month also.