One Campanile shows prestige, how about two?

Eric Froke

Eric Froke

Many people have come to recognize the Campanile as the most influential building on the campus of South Dakota State University. It has acted as a fuel source for enrollment, a majestic sight for humans and animals and a beacon of pride for a university trying to find its footing as a Division-I school. If one Campanile can do so much, imagine what SDSU would be like with two.

The second, if built properly, could be more influential than the Mayflower. I applaud the university and Brookings for their efforts to expand with projects such as the Performing Arts Center, Wellness Center and Lowe’s. But what this town really needs to have to blast out of the growth doldrums is another Campanile. SDSU would be the first university of its kind with two campaniles. Fashion critics would say this idea sounds foolish, but they also felt the same way about Capri pants.

Of the people that I talked to on campus, 68 percent said they would, under the right circumstances, consider supporting another Campanile. Although my survey was not scientific, the number is still substantial. It indicated to me that many students on campus may want a new Campanile but they just have not realized it yet. Focus groups and wild projections, along with a guerilla marketing team, would be great ways to raise awareness and create a unified voice for a campus yearning for twice the fun and twice the Campanile.

The new Campanile would do far more than just unify the campus. It would also be the university’s one-stop place for functionality. In fact, a multi-function elevator would provide Campanilers with a ride halfway to the top. The elevator would open to a medieval weaponry museum. This museum would contain a tunnel leading to stairs that could be taken to complete the ascent. Ultimately, this would provide an alternative to climbers searching for the same sense of accomplishment with half of the number of stairs to climb. This first-of-a-kind engineering, as well as precise placement next to the original Campanile, would allow for the addition of a skywalk. Made of an untraditional blend of rose quartz and lead, the skywalk will even further enhance the appeal of this majestic marvel.

With all of this extra space, a fine establishment called Campus Delectables could be added, but it would more than likely be too expensive for most students to afford.

While many people have differing ideas on what their second campanile would look like, one thing we can agree on is that we would be one step closer to bridging the gap between the mighty heavens and the earth itself.

With a slight to heavy spike in student tuition and a few minor modifications that may compromise structural integrity of the new student Wellness Center, more than enough funds would be available to build this thing. This hike in tuition would pale in comparison to the overwhelming hike in pride felt by being a part of the university with two Campaniles.

Parents of students that go to SDSU could tell everyone they know, “My son/daughter goes to the college with two Campaniles.” I don’t think you can put a price tag on that. So the next time you are on campus, gazing at the stars, look up and just wonder, “What if?”