Letter to the Editor: Fans shouldn’t be reprimanded

For the first two games of the WNIT tournament, SDSU enjoyed a sellout crowd, anchored by a raucous student section. Much was made of these crowds, and it was the least we could do to help the team in whatever way we could. Many of these same students made the 11-hour trip to Laramie, Wyo., to try and bring some of this home-court advantage on the road. However, shortly after tip-off, we were told, not so politely, that we could not remain standing the whole game, because people behind us were complaining.

The worst part about this is that those very people were SDSU fans. This act essentially took the SDSU student section out of the game. You just can’t get the same energy going sitting in your seat as compared with standing, jumping around, etc. The Wyoming student section was nowhere near what a home SDSU student section is like, but on Sunday afternoon, they made us look like we hardly cared. I don’t see how people could stay seated during one of the most important games in SDSU women’s basketball history.

There are enough timeouts in a game that even leg fatigue is not a good excuse. Being able to stand may not have won the game for the Jacks, but our team deserved everything we could possibly give them, and that is what was taken away.

Ryan BeyerSenior biology/pre-med major