Cal Poly Mustangs look to run over the Jackrabbits under CAS lights

Zach Anderson

Zach Anderson

The SDSU Jackrabbits will take on the Cal Poly Mustangs on Oct. 18 in Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

Quarterbacks: CPU senior Jonathan Daily leads the offense for the Mustangs. Daily has thrown for 854 yards and eight touchdowns through four games.

For the Jacks, Ryan Berry leads the offense with 1,722 yards passing on the year and nine touchdowns. Berry has thrown nine interceptions on the year, while Daily has thrown zero so far.

Advantage: Mustangs

Running Backs: At running back for CPU is James Noble who has 39 carries for 359 yards and five touchdowns last season. Joining Noble in the backfield is Ryan Mole who has rushed for two touchdowns and 176 yards on 30 carries.

Kyle Minett is the Jackrabbits’ leading rusher through six games with 545 yards rushing and nine touchdowns.

Advantage: Jackrabbits

Receivers: CPU returns two senior receivers in Ramses Barden and Tre’Dale Tolver. Barden has 28 catches for 626 yards and seven touchdowns. Barden was selected as the Great West Football Conference Co-Offensive Player of the Year in 2007. Tolver returns to the team and has nine catches for 126 yards and one touchdown.

JaRon Harris leads the Jacks with 35 catches for 545 yards to go along with his five touchdowns. Glen Fox has 31 receptions for 355 yards and two touchdowns on the year.

Advantage: Mustangs

Offensive Line: Stephen Field returns to help anchor the CPU offensive line; he was All-Great West in 2005, 2006 and 2007. Fellow senior Pat Koligian returns after starting 11 games last year.

Sophomore Will Mitchell returns after starting nine games last year, along with sophomore Jason Cox who was selected Second-Team All-Great West in ’07.

The Jackrabbits have three returning starters: senior Kevin Robling at center, Nick Flesner at guard and starting right tackle Casey Bender.

Advantage: Mustangs

Defensive Line: CPU returns senior Sean Lawyer who earned First-Team All-Great West in 2007 and has 24 tackles and five sacks on the year. Junior Ryan Shotwell returns for the Mustangs and has tallied 16 tackles with two tackles for loss.

James Chen and Gavin Cooper also return to the defensive line as sophomores.

For the Jacks, Danny Batten has recorded 41 tackles on the year to lead the defensive line. Eric Schroeder returns at tackle; he led the conference in tackles for loss in 2007 with 13.5, including 6.5 sacks.

Advantage: Jackrabbits

Linebackers: At linebacker for the Mustangs, senior Mark Restelli has 17 tackles so far. Sophomore Marty Mohamed, junior Carlton Gillespie and senior Fred Hives are also returning starting linebackers for Cal Poly.

Jimmy Rogers leads the team with 53 tackles. Chris Johnson also helps to bolster a powerful group of linebackers. Derek Domino may be a key to the game, as last time out, he ran an interception back 82-yards for a touchdown in the Hobo Day game against McNeese State.

Advantage: Jackrabbits

Defensive Backs: Juniors David Fullerton and Xavier Gardner return to CPU after recording 17 tackles and seven tackles respectively after just four games. Senior Martin Mares returns and has added three tackles this year.

With an extra week off, SDSU could have the services of Brock Campbell and Conrad Kjerstad who have not been healthy for September and October. Campbell had nine tackles on the year while dealing with an injury. Filling in for an injured SDSU safety is senior Brookings native Nash Simet. Simet has 14 tackles on the year, including eight solo.

At cornerback, the Jackrabbits are led by Joseph Blackman, General Parnell and Cole Brodie. Blackman has 20 tackles while Brody had his first career interception of his career last game against McNeese State.

Advantage: Jackrabbits

Key to the game: The Jackrabbits are tough at home and will be hard to beat. If the Mustangs can get their key receivers open, they should have the edge.