Enjoy the stage madness

Laura Lucas

Laura Lucas

“Let me tell you about the most fun thing that’s going to happen at SDSU this year,” said Wes Haskell, senior communication studies major. “It’s called Capers.”

Capers is the annual show written, directed and made possible by Alpha Psi Omega (APO), the theater fraternity. “Capers is everything. There are dances, songs, skits and crazy fun. It is very satirical. … Some people compare it to Saturday Night Live,” said Director Nicholas Castillo.

With one of the biggest casts (about 160 students) in a few years and only 12 days to put the show together, Capers is quickly coming together.

Castillo said Capers is always performed the last week of January. Because spring semester started later than usual, the rehearsal time was cut short. The cast and crew usually have about three weeks of rehearsal.

The theme for Capers changes yearly. This year is Capers 2009: Capers Kicks it Old School. “We are covering the ’80s, ’90s and today,” said Meg Lee, president of APO and assistant director.

Lee said APO voted on this theme because there was a lot of material to work with. It is also relatable for students because they lived it.

According to Lee, the material for the show comes from pop culture with topics like Bill Clinton and O.J. Simpson. There are also memorable songs, including “Jock Jams,” “Can’t Touch This” and “Love Shack.”

Although Capers is done through the theater, many students who participate are not theater majors.

“This show will have someone you know in it. There are many people with different majors; it is a great way to meet new people,” said Castillo.

One recognizable person is Students’ Association President, Chris Daugaard. Daugaard said he participated last year and had a blast. This year he is singing “Love Shack.”

Doing his fifth year of Capers is Jon Callies, senior liberal studies major. He was first introduced to the show from theater students talking about it.

“They were so excited,” Callies said. “I keep doing the show because of the new people you meet and it is about the most fun time of year.”

Not all students are exposed to Capers from theater students. Corrinna Schwartz, freshman dietetics major and first-year Capers dancer, said she heard about the show from a girl in her dance class.

“It was described as a lot of fun,” she said.

Schwartz said it has been hard work putting the show together, but she has had really good time. “All the APO members want us to have a positive experience. They are full of energy and fun,” she said.

Schwartz also likes that the show is not a long-term commitment and plans to participate again next year.

According to Castillo, students should attend Capers because of the intense energy, absolute craziness and over-the-top scenes and characters the cast brings on stage.

Capers performances are Jan. 27 through Jan. 31 at 7:30 p.m. with a matinee Jan. 31 at 2 p.m. in Doner Auditorium. The show is expected to last about two hours with an intermission.

Tickets go on sale Jan. 26, prices are $7 for SDSU students with ID and high school students, adult general admission $9 and $11 for reserved seats. All tickets can be purchased in the box office located on the second floor in the Administration Building. All proceeds go to APO.