39th season of Prairie Repertory Theatre will be family friendly

Virginia Berg And Laura Lucas

Free is a word that students generally like to hear, and just because summer is headed our way doesn’t mean that “free” goes away.

“If you have been an SDSU student during the 2008-2009 school year you can get into any of the shows for free with your student ID,” said Prairie Repertory Theatre’s Managing Director J.D. Ackman. “It doesn’t matter if you are taking summer classes or not, you still get in for free with your ID.”

This means that even this year’s graduates can get in for free with their old SDSU ID.

“That’s exciting,” said graduating senior music major Caetlyn Van Buren, “I didn’t realize that I could still use my student ID to get in to this summer’s shows for free even after I graduate.”

This year’s PRT season consists of four family-friendly shows that will be performed both in Brookings and Brandon, S.D.

“These four shows are diverse, fun and totally family-friendly,” said Joshua Westwick, PRT’s director of audience services and communication. “We are excited about performing in both Doner Auditorium and in Brandon,” said Westwick.

Brookings shows will take place in Doner Auditorium within the Administration Building, and Brandon showings will be held at the Brandon Valley Performing Arts Center in Brandon Valley High School.

“We have found that people want lighter, yet good-quality shows for the summer, and we are proud to offer a season that has such a broad appeal,” said Ackman.

The season kicks off with Godspell, a popular 1970s Broadway musical. According to the PRT Web site, the text came out of the Gospel of St. Matthew. Some popular songs from the musical include “Day by Day” and “By My Side.” The show has important messages including “judge not, that you yourselves shall not be judged.”

It runs from June 10 to June 13 at 7:30 p.m. with a matinee June 14 at 2 p.m. in Brookings, and July 24 and 25 at 7:30 p.m. with a matinee July 26 at 2 p.m. in Brandon.

“Godspell was done at SDSU 20 years ago, but has not been done [at SDSU] since,” said Ackman.

Next on the PRT schedule is The Man Who Came to Dinner. According to the PRT Web site, this comedy takes place in the Stanley home where Sheridan Whiteside has taken over. Whiteside is a well-known radio personality who fell outside the home and is confined in the house for six weeks. Whiteside takes over the living room and house with gifts including a cockroach farm and an octopus in the cellar. The show should capture the audience with its fast-paced mayhem.

The Man Who Came to Dinner runs from June 17 – 20 at 7:30 p.m. with a matinee June 21 at 2 p.m. in Brookings and July 18 and 22 at 7:30 p.m. with a matinee July 21 at 2 p.m. in Brandon.

The third PRT show this summer is Foxfire. According to the PRT Web site, Foxfire is about a widow, Annie Nations, who lives in the mountains with the ghost of her husband, Hector. Her home is threatened to be torn down and Annie Nations has to decide what to do. “Annie’s battle to decide her future takes her through some funny, touching and magical flashbacks to her life with Hector.”

It runs June 24 through 27 at 7:30 p.m. and a matinee June 28 at 2 p.m. in Brookings and July 29 through 31 at 7:30 p.m. in Brandon.

“Foxfire has never been performed at SDSU, and we are happy to bring it to PRT,” said Ackman.

Last, but definitely not least on the PRT schedule is the American musical classic Annie Get Your Gun. According to the PRT Web site, this Irving Berlin musical about Annie Oakley and the Wild West Show is sure to have audiences humming along with popular tunes like “There’s No Business Like Show Business” and “Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better.” Annie Get Your Gun runs from July 8 through 11 at 7:30 p.m. and a matinee July 12 at 2 p.m. in Brookings, as well as July 15 through 17 and Aug. 1 at 7:30 p.m. and Aug. 2 at 2 p.m. in Brandon.