YouTube comedian will split your sides

Briana Troske

Briana Troske

Bo Burnham – comedian, actor and singer/songwriter – will perform at the Performing Arts Center on Dec. 8 at 8 p.m.

The University Program Council will sponsor the show. Michael Preszler, the showcase coordinator for UPC, said his favorite song of Burnham’s on the Web site YouTube is either Bo Fo Sho or My Whole Family.

Jada Joseph, a junior music merchandise major, was the showcase coordinator for UPC last year and got the process moving last spring to bring Burnham to campus. UPC decided to request Burnham come to South Dakota and perform because he is an up-and-coming star.

“I’m looking forward to having a great show for all the students at SDSU and I hope they like him,” said Preszler, a senior advertising major.

Burnham’s YouTube songs currently average about 4 million views. His biggest hit, Bo Fo Sho, has more than 10 million views.

“I’m really looking forward to hearing the Welcome to YouTube song. It’s really funny,” said Kayla Struck, a freshman majoring in pre-pharmacy.

According to his official Web site, boburnham.com, Burnham lives in Hamilton, Mass., and was born on Aug. 21, 1990. Since the age of 3, he has been performing his own songs. He graduated from St. Johns in 2008 and decided to delay his enrollment into college for a year to stay focused on his performing career.

Burnham first became well-known after he videotaped himself performing two songs and placing them on YouTube. During his songs, he plays guitar or piano. His performances always aim to keep the audience laughing.

“I think he’s awesome. He is also a really good stand-up comedian,” said Logan DeBoer, a freshman civil engineering major.

Burnham’s Web site also says, “In August 2008, four days after his 18th birthday, he became the youngest person to record a Comedy Central special. He also has a record deal with Comedy Central Records and was in the movie Funny People.”

“I think his popularity will continue to grow. He will continue to be a rising star,” said Preszler.

Tickets to Burnham’s show are being sold at Information Exchange in The Union. The cost is $3 for students and $6 for non-students. About half of the tickets have been sold already, according to David Bierman, an Information Exchange student manager. Bierman also said the ticket sales should begin moving even faster as the concert date approaches.