Wiped by Wildcats; Jacks hit the coast for UCF matchup at Jacksonville Classic

Evan Patzwald
South Dakota State’s Zeke Mayo drives past a DWU defender in the Jacks’ 83-55 win over the Tigers Wednesday, Nov. 8, 2023. Mayo scored 28 of the Jacks’ 83 points contributing in the win.

South Dakota State wrapped up their last two games before their first in season tournament of the year.

Currently, South Dakota state is 1-2, suffering losses to Akron and most recently, Kansas State.

This year, the Jackrabbits saw their first win against fellow South Dakota school, Dakota Wesleyan.

The Jacks were outmatched going up against the powerhouse of the Kansas State Wildcats, losing the Nov. 13 match up, 91-68.

Charlie Easley was the standout Jackrabbit from Monday’s game. The senior guard finished with a team high of 21 points, four boards, an assist and six steals throughout the game while shooting 9/13 on field goals and 40% from the arc.

Leading the Jacks in rebounds was none other than Luke Appel who finished with seven boards, six defensively.

Zeke Mayo, fresh off two 28-point game against Dakota Wesleyan struggled in his third game of his third year. The junior finished with 11 points, his lowest of the season and shot just over 38% on total field goals (5/13).

William Kyle III saw a drop in production as well, shooting 40% on the night while scoring nine points and bringing in three rebounds.

“It’s all strength with me right now,” said Kyle III. “I feel like my strength component from last year to this year is night and day.” The 6’9 forward has put on 15 pounds since the previous season.

Kansas State’s Cam Carter played well on both sides of the ball, leading his team in points (25) and steals (3). Overall, the junior transfer from Mississippi State went 4/8 from the arc and 10/20 on total field goals.

Though only scoring six points, David N’Guessan brought in nearly 30% percent of Kansas State’s 38 total rebounds.

Tylor Perry played efficiently in K-state’s win, shooting 7/9 on field goals and an impressive 6/8 on three pointers.

From the bench, RJ Jones came out hot. In just 19 minutes of action, the freshman outscored South Dakota State’s bench all by himself, putting up 14 points.

The Wildcats’ three-point shot proved to be lethal in their clear victory, 14/25 from the arc as a team and an impressive 72.73% in the second half of play.

Jacksonville Classic

After the loss, The South Dakota State men’s basketball team packed the plane and headed down to the oldest city in the United States of America for the Jacksonville Classic at Flagler College in St. Augustine, Florida.

The Jacksonville Classic is a collegiate men’s basketball tournament featuring eight teams from across the United States.

South Dakota State’s first matchup will be the UCF Golden Knights, another Big 12 team. So far this season, UCF is 1-1, with losses to Florida International University and the University of Miami, Florida, game is set for 7 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 19.

Jaylin Sellers has been the prince who was promised for this Golden Knights team after transferring from Ball State. In two games, the junior has averaged 22.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.5 assists this season while also snagging 2.5 steals as well. Though he has shown some flaw, shooting an embarrassing nine percent from the arc.

Darius Johnson is the only other UCF player averaging over 10 points this season as he has 14 per game.

Shemarri Allen is the assist leader for the Golden knights, bringing in on average three per game.

From the arc, UCF has made just over 25% of their shots and sits at a 45% field goal percentage, less than the Jackrabbits in both categories.

Head coach for men’s basketball Eric Henderson knows how challenging these next matchups will be. “Its going fun, its going to be challenging, I know that,” said Henderson.

Depending on the outcome of the games, the Jackrabbits will take on either Charlotte or George Mason  Monday, Nov. 20 at either 5 p.m. or 7 p.m.