Costs, parking proximity are among questions SA leaders have for assistant VP

Brayden Byers
Parking lot right outside Student Union

Representatives from SDSU Parking Services attended the weekly Students’ Association meeting Monday to discuss recent changes to the parking manual and to answer questions from students. 

Derek Peterson, assistant vice-president of business services, began with an overview of the changed guidelines. During the Sept. 11 meeting of the Students’ Association, Senator Grant Sternhagen, who is a member of the Parking and Traffic Committee, outlined the amendment to the parking regulations that would add a “repeat offender policy.” 

Sen. Sternhagen claimed that when asked, the head of Parking and Traffic said they had no plans to tell the student body about the change because it was in the parking manual that everyone is required to read. 

Peterson indicated that the decision to implement the regulations and not notify the students fell on him. 

“Something I really, and again, it’s on me, didn’t think through is all these students that are probably the violators are not buying the permits, so they’re not reading the parking regulations.” 

He says that the plan is to notify students via email as well as the weekly “Rabbit Report” sent out by the Students’ Association every Monday. 

Peterson said that 89 citations have accumulated these additional costs have been given out since the semester began, and the students that have paid the additional sum have been refunded the excess amount into their student accounts. 

The committee has drafted a communication that they hope to share with the student body, according to Peterson. They also plan to look at a few changes regarding the harshness of the fines after feedback from SDSU President Barry Dunn. 

“His only comment was he thought maybe the third occurrence could be a little gentler. So, I think we’re going to look as a committee, maybe escalating $30, $45, $60. So maybe a $50 increment.” 

Peterson then opened up for comments, questions, or suggestions from those in attendance. 

Are there plans to add any additional parking lots? 

Peterson said there is a master plan that is currently being conducted by facilities and services and that parking is an aspect that is being looked at. 

“So, the problem isn’t parking supply. It’s where students and staff want the parking.” he said, “And to be honest, if you really look at our campus and where it lays in the community, there’s not a lot of area that we have access to close proximity where students are looking to build additional lots.” 

Is there a plan to build a parking ramp on campus? 

Peterson said his office looked at the price of a parking ramp a few years ago and the cost would be more than $50 million. Parking services is self-funded, so he says that funding would need to come from inside the office. 

“In order for us to fund a $50 million project, our permits would be somewhere between $1,500 to $2,000 a year. And I don’t think anybody’s looking to pay $1,500 to $2,000 a year for that facility.” 

How will the students be notified?  

“Campus email, as well as trying to place it in; we have a Monday morning message and I think you guys have a school message as well trying to post it within those applications.” 

Where does the money that students pay for passes and citations go? 

Peterson said that the money that is taken from fees goes directly back into the office. Because parking services is a system auxiliary, the dollars that are generated have to stay within the organization.