SA in brief: Warrior Week, financial transparency

Jacob Boyko, News Editor (He/Him)

During the South Dakota State University Students’ Association meeting Nov. 8, senators were addressed by Connie Johnson, coordinator for Veterans Services, about upcoming events for Warrior Week. Other speakers included Doug Wermedal and Heidi Haro talking about the rollout of the Starship Food Delivery Robots. The Senate also unanimously passed a new resolution and an amendment. 

Connie Johnson:

Nov. 15- 20 is Warrior Week. Johnson described some of the events Veterans Services is putting on. On Monday, taps will be played on the half-hour mark 22 times throughout the day starting at 8:30 a.m. in the Student Union. The number represents the number of veterans lost each day to suicide. Military members should render a salute from the beginning to the end of the song, while civilians should place their right hand over their hearts. Other events include the Iron Warrior competition Nov. 18. Registration starts at 2 p.m. in the Miller Wellness Center. There will be first and second place winners in male and female categories. The Lanes bowling alley and Team Red White & Blue will host a social open to veterans and the community Nov. 19 at 5:30 p.m. The week will finish off with a military appreciation football game at 2 p.m. in the Dana J. Dykhouse Nov. 20. Veterans will receive two free tickets. 

“The biggest challenge [for veterans] is the transition and fitting in,” Johnson said. “Some are 23 and some are 32.” 

The goal of Warrior Week is to increase involvement among veterans on campus and promote physical health and wellness. The events are open to both military and community members. 

Bills:

The Senate passed a bill and an amendment Monday. Resolution 21-10-R recognized November as Veteran and Military Family Month. Amendment 21-2-A will increase financial transparency in the Student Association following spending concerns.