Sources afraid to talk in KSDJ harassment case

Michelle Herrick

Michelle Herrick

No one is saying what happened at the disciplinary hearing for the campus radio’s station manager, but Students’ Association Vice President Doug Timm said the media council is accepting applications for a new station manager starting Nov. 9.

Timm is chairman of the media council, which is made up of senators, students and faculty. The council advises both the Collegian and KSDJ 90.7-FM.

Station Manager Ashley-Kenneth Allen was scheduled to face a disciplinary hearing in October for being in violation of the university’s sexual harassment policy.

Jacy Riedmann filed the sexual harassment complaint against Allen from incidents that occurred when she was creative services director spring semester. The investigation finding Allen in violation of the policy was completed Aug. 31.

Riedmann wouldn’t comment on the hearing for fear of getting in trouble.

Stephanie Erschens, program director for the station, also declined to comment for the same reason, but she did say, “things will be happening there in the next couple weeks.”

The KSDJ policy manual says the program director is supposed to take over in the station manager’s absence.

Radio station staff get scholarships to do their jobs, according to the KSDJ policy, and they can also receive academic credit for their work there.

The radio station has not had any live DJs on air since school started, and the music has been running on autopilot from a computer program.

Dean of Student Affairs Marysz Rames, who represented Riedmann in the hearing, said the Student Conduct Code requires all people involved to be under a cloak of confidentiality.

“Otherwise, why would someone come forward?” she said. “It’s not a court case where that information is available to everyone.”

Rames said she doesn’t know what would happen if someone leaked information to the public.

“We’ve never had that happen before,” she said.

The Student Conduct Code under the procedural standards for all disciplinary proceedings says, “Hearings shall be private unless and open hearing is requested by both the accused student and the complainant.”

The Board of Regents human rights complaint procedures policy says, “Reasonable effort shall be made to maintain the confidentiality of the complaints.””

The university’s sexual harassment policy requires university officials to keep all complaints confidential, but it does not say those filing the complaint can’t discuss it.

The policy says, “Complainants, witnesses, and other persons who have assisted, testified, or participated in any manner in any phase of an investigation will be protected.”

Nothing in any of the relevant policies says anyone will get punished for talking about anything.