Tennis teams begin spring season hopeful

Faith Moldan

Faith Moldan

SDSU’s tennis teams are young, but loaded with talent.

The men’s team has four returnees and three freshmen, while the women’s team has five freshmen, one returnee and a transfer student. Coach Don Hanson said all were number-one players in high school.

“I have no idea where we’re going to get to,” Hanson said. “I’m really happy with the way things are going.”

After the fall season, the team spent its off-season training and working out to get ready for spring competition. Hanson said much of the training and workouts were individually motivated by the players, not him.

“You can’t coach tennis. It’s mentally tough on each person,” Hanson said.

The women’s team has received good leadership from sophomore Jen Creed, the lone returnee. Creed had a 1-5 singles record and 1-1 record in doubles during the fall season. Kristine Hagedorn, a sophomore transfer from Ridgewater Community College in Wilmar, Minn., did not compete in the fall. She earned National Junior College All-American honors last season in Wilmar. Rounding out the rest of the team are freshmen Molly Dammann, Tricia Langholdt, Nicole Siebrasse, Jennifer Sondreal, and Kate Wylie. Dammann had a 1-2 doubles record in duals during the fall season. Also competing last fall was Langholdt, who had a 1-0 singles record in duals and 0-1 doubles record. Langholdt will be competing for a starting spot this spring. Siebrasse had a 2-3 record in singles and doubles last fall. Leading the team for fall season was Sondreal with a 5-2 singles record and 2-3 doubles record. Also performing well during the fall season was Wylie. She had a 3-2 singles record and 2-3 doubles record.

Leading the way for the men’s team is senior Jeff Everson. Everson earned all-conference honors after finishing second at the North Central Championships in the number one doubles. Everson had an 11-7 doubles record at number one doubles and an 11-9 overall record in doubles. At number two singles, he had a 5-15 record. The men’s team has more experience with two sophomores and a junior returning. Ihab Halaweish placed third at the NCC Championships at number six singles and had a 5-5 record as a spot starter. Steve Grantz won the NCC title at number five singles with a 12-8 record in singles and 11-9 in doubles. He finished third at the NCC Championships at number three doubles with Keaton Raymond. Brian Hylle had a 9-10 record at number four singles and placed second at the NCC Championships earning all-NCC honors. The three freshmen, Zac Lunak, Brian Robinson and Tom Weismantel, will fill spots in the lineup this spring.

“They can hold their own,” Hanson said about the men’s team.

Hanson said that he hopes every person reaches his or her potential and the team gets some wins along the way to figuring out where they are headed as they get to know more about each other.

Both teams take on three teams in Kansas City, Mo., Mar. 24-26. The women play at home against Southwest Minnesota State on April 1 at 2 p.m. and the men on April 3 against Concordia (Moorhead) at 1 p.m.

#1.885236:2726495193.jpg:tennis tc.jpg:Jeff Everson practices his serve return at the HPER.: