Chiropractic office to open next year

Jarad Miles

Jarad Miles

As Sixth Street stretches east over Interstate 29 and turns into Highway 14 once again, drivers may notice a new 20,000 square-foot building. However, no exterior distinction can yet be made as to what the facility’s function may be.

The automatic doors open up into a spacious waiting room. Smoke ascends from the gas fireplace through the terracotta gold brick chimney reaching towards a 30-foot ceiling.

Three patients sit on the chairs around the wooden table with car, wildlife and political magazines as they wait to enter one of the 12 chiropractic rooms of the Brookings Therapeutic and Surgery Center.

Chiropractor, Dr. Scott Munsterman, said, “Our mission is to provide care to help people reach normal function to restore their lives using a multidisciplinary approach.” Multidisciplinary care includes ambulances, therapy, operation and recuperation within the center.

Munsterman said only 41% of Brookings citizens go to the Brookings Hospital, while the other 59% go to Sioux Falls. He believes the new facility will keep patients from traveling to Sioux Falls for care.

Klinger Construction began work on the building last August. Several subcontractors are also involved in completing some of the more specialized work. “It’s about 95% complete. The Brooking Ambulatory Surgery Center should be done by Jan. 6,” said Dr. Munsterman. He said the surgery center makes up almost half of the entire facility.

The center also houses an impressive 2,500 square-foot fitness center, 10 therapy stalls, waiting rooms and locker rooms.

While the surgery center is in the process of hiring, the chiropractic center and wellness center contain 10 and five faculty, respectively.

Munsterman said the facility’s six doctors have more than 100 years of combined experience.