Mathews Hall gets overhaul for ’06-’07

Kristin Marthaler

Kristin Marthaler

Even with all the changes during the past few years, SDSU will continue making a few more chnages for next year.

Mathews’s Hall will be made into the new Learning Living Community for health, engineering and honor students.

As it stands now, Pierson houses honor students on its fourth floor. They will be moved to Matthew’s fourth floor. Third floor will house engineer majors and first and second floors will be health majors.

Residential Life will provide room for student computers on each floor for the desginated major. Second floor will not have a computer lab because an apartment occupies the space.

“It just made sense to designate the rooms out side of the fire doors as the computer rooms, that way students don’t have to have their dorm key and room key to just run to the bathroom,” said Michael Kervin, director of Residential Life.

Now, students will be able to use the computer lab without worrying about curfew or being on the ‘wrong side’ of the dorm during specific hours.

This also allows students to use the computer room whenever they wish, and it will be filled with students of like majors.

“Brown Hall will now be known as the Healthy Life Styles Hall. The students will be substance free on and off campus, and will have the option of wellness training and activities right in their dorm. Residential Assistant’s will be able to set up walking clubs or group activities to lose weight at stay in shape,” said Kervin.

He also said, students will not be kicked out if they don’t exercise or lose weight. “Some students will still be sitting on the couch at 2 a.m. ordering pizza.”

All changes will be in effect for the 2006-2007 school year and have already been changed on the applications forms for the dorms. Students can mark the box of “Specialty Housing Options” for the specific dorm they would like to live in.

If you would like more information about a specific dorm, contact Residential Life at 688-5148 or stop in the office in Caldwell Hall.