Students star in Cavorts talent show

Lucinda Albers

Lucinda Albers

Along with football games and drag queens, Hobo Week brings a different kind of talent show.

Cavorts, presented by the University Program Council, is a talent show that showcases SDSU students. This year, the show falls on Friday, Oct. 27, and features comedy, music, percussion and hip-hop dance.

UPC Showcase Coordinator Brady Mallory works with special entertainment throughout the year and is in charge of Cavorts. Mallory said that one of the reasons they keep bringing the show back is the number of students they pull in each year.

“The numbers show that Cavorts is a fan favorite,” said Mallory. “We packed the entire Performing Arts Center last year and it continues to grow in numbers each year.”

The show used to be held in the old Volstorff Ballroom, but it grew so large, it was moved to Doner Auditorium. Eventually, it was moved to the Performing Arts Center and has filled about a thousand seats ever since.

To get contestants, the UPC put up promotions for the show and auditioned acts. Mallory and four others judged the auditioning acts on a point system, and out of about 20 acts, they picked the top 13 to perform.

Sophomore music merchandising major Elisabeth Hunstad is one of the performers this year. She also performed at the show last year. Hunstad is a natural performer, and enjoys the opportunity that Hobo Week brings for her to do that.

“I love to take advantage of any opportunity to perform music and share my music with others,” said Hunstad. “Hobo Days is a good time to do this, and the crowd is usually pretty fun.”

Hunstad isn’t completely focused on winning, but simply likes performing in front of an audience.

“I don’t necessarily do Cavorts to win,” said Hunstad. “I just do it because I love music.”

Last year, Hunstad sang a song she wrote herself. This year, she decided to sing a cover of a more popular song.

“I thought the audience would relate more to a song that they would know,” said Hunstad.

Ross Evelsizer, a senior communications major, is also performing for the second time. However, Evelsizer’s set is comedic instead of musical. He is looking forward to this year’s show based on the reaction he got last year.

“I had a lot of fun last year,” said Evelsizer. “The crowd was really awesome.”

Evelsizer got involved in Cavorts because a friend had mentioned it.

“We had talked about how I should be in it,” said Evelsizer, “and eventually he just went in and signed me up.”

Since last year’s show, Evelsizer did a skit at the CMN dance marathon. Although he has some practice behind him, he said he still gets a little nervous.

“Of course I’ll always be nervous,” said Evelsizer, “but I’m not as nervous as I was last year.”

At Cavorts, five judges will judge the performers on showmanship, performance, originality, precision and talent. There are cash prizes for the winners.

Cavorts begins Friday at 8 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center. Tickets cost $3 for students and $5 for non-students, and can be purchased at the Info Exchange desk in The Union.

The performers include: Kyle Beck; Michael Baule; Nick Adams and Randi Larson; Dallas Tucker and Andy Jensen; Ross Evelsizer; Kyle Knutson; Jon Callies; Micah Wetzel; Jordan Bierman with Sarah Moklebust and Matt Quail; Matt Bunger with Jerron Jorgensen, Ben Sieverding, Dan Stratton and Ryan Nettinga; Mikael Ronne; Elisabeth Hunstad and band; SDSU Drumline; and the State Sensations.