Book selection not limited to just academic materials

Brittany Westerberg

Brittany Westerberg

For many students at SDSU, Hilton M. Briggs Library – a.k.a. the on-campus library- holds many books, journals and other academic and scholarly sources that are necessary for students to write the many papers and do the research required to pass classes.

What many students don’t realize, however, is that the library also offers fiction books – ones that are less academic and more to read just for fun. These books have, until this semester, been confined to one section of the shelves in the middle of the upper floor of the library.

As part of Briggs Library’s celebration of National Library Week – April 13-19 – the library is hosting a grand opening for its new Recent Fiction collection, which will be housed on shelves in the main floor of the library. This special section will house approximately 1,800 books – that portion of the library’s fiction collection published in the last nine years – though that number will grow as more new fiction is added on a regular basis.

The grand opening will be held on April 17 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. in Briggs Library. It is open to all interested parties and will feature refreshments, as well as the opportunity to register for a chance to win one of two $25 gift certificates to Barnes and Noble.

Briggs Library staff hopes that this special area for recent fiction will emphasize the availability of fiction – which has been identified as the favorite resource for leisure reading among Briggs Library patrons – at the library.

This new area will also feature new comfortable furniture so library users can relax and read at the library.

For more information, contact Laura Wight (688-5955, [email protected]); Elizabeth Fox (688-5569, [email protected]); Linda Kott (688-5107, [email protected]); or Lisa Lindell (688-5561, [email protected]).