A double-take on ag

Erin Beck

Did you know that the Dairy program at SDSU is one of only two in the nation? That the biggest livestock exposition in the country is held right here on campus? Or that undergraduate research in the Ag department is a reality, not just a possibility?

According to Kristen Carlisle, a freshman advisor in the Ag department, there is an endless number of opportunities for students to take advantage of in Ag at SDSU.

“The most important thing is to get involved in the classroom and in extracurricular activities,” she said. “There are tons of clubs. It’s important to become involved in at least one of them.”

According to Carlisle, the best time to explore what the College of Ag and Bio has to offer is in the fall at the Ag and Bio Ice Cream Social Club Fair. The ice cream social gives a chance for students to savor SDSU ice cream while seeing what clubs and activities click for them.

Activities that often whet Ag students’ appetites include rodeo, Block and Bridle, the Swine Club, and meat and livestock judging teams.

For students that aren’t in an ag-related major, there are still plenty of activities in Ag and Bio to check out. Never shown a pig before? Then take the initiative and show at Little International in the spring.  Want to ride horses and become socially active in the community? Try out the Horse Club.

Carlisle says that the key to success is to “step outside of your comfort zone.”