Yearbook to make comeback

ntlowrey

For the first time in more than a decade, the Jackrabbit Yearbook is in production.

Discontinued around 10 years ago, the yearbook has been revived with the help of the SDSU Students’ Association. Yearbook Editor and SA senator Vanessa Dykhouse has been charged with rebuilding the yearbook this year and creating a sound footing for the future. She said the book this year will focus on SDSU history and the years the yearbook wasn’t published. Dykhouse also said the yearbook’s target audience is seniors, in the hope they will have something to remember their time at SDSU.

According to Dykhouse, the idea to rebuild the yearbook began with former SA President Brett Monson. He was disappointed with SDSU’s lack of a yearbook when he arrived on campus and began the conversation about rebuilding the book in the Senate. Last year’s SA President Mark York continued the conversation and even approached The Collegian about helping to create a digital yearbook.

“There were a few people on senate that kind of wanted to see it come back,” said Austin VanderWal, an SA senator and member of the yearbook staff.

The yearbook rebuilding efforts coalesced over last summer after SA created a yearbook committee and put Dykhouse in charge. The committee helped find an adviser for the yearbook, Susan Smith, who doubles as the Media Adviser for both KSDJ and The Collegian.

“The big thing was finding an adviser,” Dykhouse said.

In the past the Jackrabbit yearbook was provided to students through the use of student fee dollars. The new yearbook, however, will not be free. The price has been set for this year at $25, though Dykhouse said the committee hopes to eventually bring the cost down to around $10. The yearbook will also include advertisements in order to help offset the printing costs. The committee has also solicited donations, and Dykhouse said it would likely seek some funding from the SA’s new venture fund this spring.

“We also sent out a letter to the past Jackrabbit yearbook alumni asking for donations,” Dykhouse said.

The yearbook now has nine staff members, six of which are also SA senators. The staff has already begun the work of designing pages and gathering content from SDSU’s archives and this year’s events. VanderWal said the yearbook will be somewhat different from other college yearbooks because there won’t be a photo of every student and it will incorporate a lot of SDSU history.

“We decided to just do senior pictures,” Dykhouse said, “which I think is kind of cool because it’s their last year and they’re bringing back all of these traditions.”

As the yearbook grows, the committee will consider including all students.

“We would like to get all the pictures someday, but at this point that’s not really an option with our resources and lack of money,” VanderWal said.

Another aspect of the Jackrabbit yearbook that will set it apart from others is that it will be written, designed and printed entirely on campus. The SDSU Print Lab has been working with the Yearbook Committee to publish the book this spring.

VanderWal said Associate Vice President for Student Affairs Doug Wermedal suggested the print lab as a less expensive printing option during a meeting with the committee. The print lab also was able to provide a lower estimate than Jostens, from which the committee also sought an estimate.

“We’re thrilled, we’re excited,” said Print Lab manager Robert Carlson. “I’m always excited to see something printed be resurrected.”

One of the biggest concerns for this year’s yearbook staff is providing a solid foundation for the future. Many of the staff members are seniors themselves and still others plan on being too busy next year to work on the yearbook. Staff recruiting efforts will continue throughout the year.

“Our staff right now is really solid,” Dykhouse said. “It’s just that we don’t have anyone that is committed for next year.”