Alum creations, student ideas found in Hobo Shoppe

By Jordan Smith Managing Editor

The SDSU Hobo Shoppe provides students with many different options for Hobo Day apparel. The shop features graphics and prints as well as jewelry made by local artists and SDSU alum. The Hobo Day Committee works closely and helps with the decisions made about what products are featured.

During last years centennial Hobo Day celebration was the first year of the Hobo Shoppe. 

According to Director of Student Engagement Nick Wendell, the Hobo Shoppe was opened in response to feedback from alumni and students that they were interested in more Hobo Day apparel and items other than the typical bumper stickers, T-shirts and buttons. 

“It was successful last year, which was the centennial year and there was retail to commemorate that. [The centennial] was a great way to introduce the Hobo Shoppe,” Wendell said.

Katie Fritz, a 2009 SDSU graduate, was involved in designing four T-shirts and one print for this years Hobo Shoppe. Wendell, and Fritz collaborated on what designs would be featured, and then Fritz took the finalized ideas and designed them. 

“The inspiration was to design things that are current and modern and reflect what the spirit of Hobo Day is all about,” Fritz said.

According to Union Services Manager Lindsie Bartley, the jewelry is hand-made by an SDSU alum, who takes the logos and makes them in to her own creations. The Hobo Shoppe also prints with a local printing company called Clean State. 

“We work with artists to develop the screen prints and are thoughtful of the style, fit quality and color. We also come up with quirky designs and sayings,” Wendell said.

Bartley is in charge of managing the staff, hours and inventory. “I help in the logistics and making things tick,” Bartley said.

Included this year in the Hobo Shoppe are leftover merchandise from last year along with a new line of apparel including hats, scarves, glasses and jewelry.

“We have new inventory and some old from last year, including things people was to see again such as jewelry,” Bartley said.

Sarah Dorn, 2010 SDSU graduate makes the jewelry for the Hobo Shoppe. “I have been making SDSU jewelry for about 3 or 4 years for fun and gifts and someone suggested I should sell it.” 

Dorn’s husband was a part of Farmhouse, and in speaking with other alum, that is how she found out about the Hobo Shoppe.

“I had some designs in mind and some are for pre-made necklaces and some are for the customers to pick out and make their own jewelry. The tricky part is that we didn’t know how many I needed to make,” Dorn said.

Last year Dorn made a starting amount and checked back every so often and added things as needed. Her inventory ran out last year and when she re-stocked she had a bit of leftover. This year, the shop will feature some jewelry from last year as well as Dorn’s new creations.

It can take Dorn up to three days to make one charm after all of the steps, and she then decides what pieces she want to assemble in jewelry after they are done.

The official Hobo Day shirt will be available, which is the shirt designed by the Hobo Day committee. 

“There is a direct connection with the Hobo Day committee and their peers in creating the shirt design,” Bartley said. “It is bits and pieces of the student vision.”

The Hobo Shoppe is about offering students many options for Hobo Day apparel and merchandise. “We are celebrating the positivity and uniqueness of Hobo Day,” Wendell said.

The Hobo Shoppe will open Monday Sept. 23 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday Sept. 28 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. before the game. It will be open during Hobo Week from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and on Hobo Day from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.