Equestrian takes on NDSU

By KELSEY MEGARD Sportswriter

The Jackrabbit equestrian team held two exhibitions western meets against North Dakota State (4-3) and Minnesota-Crookston (7-1) at the DeHaan Equestrian Center on Saturday. 

The Jackrabbits first competed against North Dakota. In the reining competition, freshman Nicole Harvey earned a point for SDSU with a score of 63.5. 

In a reining competition horses are judged on a series of maneuvers such as spinning, rollbacks, sliding stops and change of speed and direction. 

“In the reining category this weekend we were weak. We had a lot of penalties and two rides that zeroed which is never good,” Rossiter said. 

The Jacks next took on North Dakota in the horsemanship competition. 

Western horsemanship judges on the correctness of a riders feet and hands, rider’s seat and the lines and angles as the competitor rides a series of maneuvers for 30-60 seconds. 

Freshman Alisha Haddock, picked up a point with a score of 72. Teammate, Kelsey Swainston, followed Haddock with a score of 71.5. 

Shelby Webb, senior, scored the final point for the Jacks in the horsemanship competition earning a 69.5. 

North Dakota’s, Megan Hanson, earned the point for her team scoring 72. Ashley Lindell followed teammate Hanson earning a 71 but was unable to score a point for her team. 

“We were very strong, across the board, in the horsemanship event,” Rossiter said. 

Jackrabbit, Danielle Baker, won Most Outstanding Player honors along with winning the reining event against Minnesota-Crookston. 

Vanessa Hinkle also won MOP honors and took first in 

an exhibition in horsemanship. 

The Jackrabbits won three of the four points in horsemanship. Danielle Dickerson (69), freshman, Jessica Taylor, sophomore (70), and Shelby Webb (72), senior, scored all the points. 

The Jackrabbits took all the points against UMC in the reining competition. Baker lead the Jacks with a score of 71.5. Raivenne Scott followed scoring 70.5 and freshman Mikala Reed scored a 68. 

UMC’s Nicole Harvey lead her team in the reining competition earning a 70. Teammates Mitizi Martin (65) and Caitiln Kelley (64.5) had the next to highest scores but not enough to top the Jacks. 

“November is going to be a big month for us, we have five meets,” Rossiter said. “We have a fairly young team so it’s difficult to get them ready although I don’t feel that is an accurate indicator of how we’ll be the rest of the season. I feel that this team is just going to get stronger as the season goes on. I’m hoping that November is going to be a great month for us.” 

The Jackrabbits will travel to Dallas, TX on Friday Nov. 1 to take on SMU then to Stillwater, Okla. on Nov. 2 to face Oklahoma State