25th anniversary of Berlin Wall collapse to be celebrated on campus

After the print deadline, The Collegian was informed that erecting of the wall to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Berlin Wall coming down has been cancelled.  Jason Owens, event coordinator informed The Collegian of the cancellation Wednesday. He will still be speaking on Oct. 21 in the Rotunda.

On Oct. 9 marks 25 years since the Berlin Wall came down. SDSU is helping to celebrate the anniversary by having a variety of events.

SDSU will be building a mock Berlin Wall outside The Union. The wall will be 8 feet by 32 feet. Students, faculty and community members are able to write on the wall between Oct. 14 to 16.

“The main sponsor is the Embassy of Germany in Washington, D.C. who has put up a majority of the funds,” said Jason Owens, associate professor of modern languages and global studies.

SDSU was one of the colleges that chose to participate in commemorating the Anniversary of the Berlin wall. In order to be sponsored by the German Embassy, SDSU had to write a grant and wait to see if the university was granted the award.

Owens said on Oct. 16 the painted particle board wall will be breached at 12:30 p.m.

On Oct. 21, Owens will speak at 7 p.m. in Rotunda F about Africans who took shelter in Germany while the wall was still standing and how the wall coming down impacted them.

Following Owens’ talk and the breaching of the mock Berlin Wall, there will be a display in Briggs Library from Nov. 9 to Dec. 9 of pieces of the Berlin Wall, photos, quotes and written and video documentation.

According to Owens, the Berlin Wall coming down is an important part of many SDSU students parents’ history. “Students that learn about what was so central to their parents and grandparents time can better understand what is happening right now,” Owens said.