2015 SDSU memorial steer show

By: Brenna Ramsden Columnist

South Dakota State University offers over 200 clubs and organizations for students to become involved while they are here as a student and even after. As a senior on this campus, I can honestly say that I have found a new club each year that has benefited myself and the career path I am following. The most important of those clubs would have to be SDSU’s Block & Bridle chapter.

For those of you who don’t know, Block & Bridle serves as the animal science club on campus. Our main events are helping out with serving sandwiches at the Beef Bowl football game, coordinating and judging academic competitions for high school and collegiate students and serving at the Annual SDSU Bull Sale and the Jackrabbit Steer Show.

That last one might just be the most important event. The B&B club puts together a jackpot steer show each year for anyone to attend. This year, the event is going to be huge.

The SDSU B&B/AGR Jackrabbit Classic Steer Show is getting a facelift, and it couldn’t have come at a better time. First of all, the name will be changed to SDSU B&B/AGR Jackrabbit Memorial Steer Show. This change happened because the show will be honoring five extraordinary people that the livestock industry lost this past year.  The steer show committee is honoring the five families by offering scholarships in each person’s name.  Scholarship awards range from $250 to $1000 each, and they are available for anyone to apply.

Not only has the name changed, but the space for this show to take place has changed as well.

The show will be this Saturday, Feb. 28 at the Swiftel Center in Brookings.

In previous years, the show took place on two different days, but this year the show will be taking place on one day, with two rings. To fit both of the rings in one building, the show will take place at the Swiftel Center. The show will take place on one half of the building, while the other half will be used for trade show booths- also a first for the show.

“We are excited for the changes coming up this year and hope that the growth this year will lead to greater possibilities,” said Dakota Thomas, B&B President.

With this entire production happening in one club, you might be surprised to learn that this show is completely put on by members of the B&B steer show committee with sponsors from all over South Dakota.

SDSU’s Alpha Gamma Rho Fraternity and the B&B club work together to make sure this show happen. AGR representatives Connor Hoff, a junior general agriculture major and Adam Krause, a junior animal science major, work with B&B representatives Grady Ruble, a junior animal science major, Zach Post, a junior animal science major, and Jared Brown, a junior animal science major, to book buildings, order dirt and chips and gather sponsorships for the show. Thomas, a senior agriculture science major, also plays a large role in the show, as she is the glue that holds everything together.

“This show would not be possible without the steer show committee members as well as the help and support of AGR and B&B members,” Thomas said.

Brenna can be reached at [email protected]