Jacks for Life welcomes State Rep. Fred Deutsch to club meeting

Representative Fred Deutsch speaks with members of the Jacks for Life club about the pro-life bills that will be presented in Pierre.

IAN LACK Reporter

No matter where someone stands on the issue, abortion is a politically-charged topic. Recently, the issue is seeing a revival in attention from the media in the political sphere. In light of this most recent coverage of the topic and its affiliation with Planned Parenthood in particular, several pro-life bills have come forward and are beginning to circulate the minds of those managing legislation in Pierre.

The first bill, called the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, has passed in 13 other states. The bill would add “fetal pain” as an independent compelling state interest, stating an abortion would not be able to take place after 20 weeks, unless the life of the mother was at risk. The other three bills that would likely be proposed include those that would require physicians to inform women seeking an abortion that it would be possible midway through the procedure to reverse the effects of the abortion and stop any damage to the fetus. Another would outlaw the sale of fetal body tissue, and the last would require publicized reports from Planned Parenthood on facility operations.

The Jacks for Life club is an on-campus, pro-life special interests club of about 40 members that meets bi-weekly. They too have become aware of the events taking place in regards to abortion and Planned Parenthood and felt the call to share their beliefs on the topic. Their Tuesday club meeting began with the introduction of executive board members, followed by the club’s mission statement and prayer, and then the introduction of the club’s special guest, South Dakota Representative Fred Deutsch.

Deutsch is the president of South Dakota Right to Life, a non-profit organization emphasizing human life and calling for an end to abortion. He first met with Jacks for Life club members at the annual Right to Life convention. He later agreed to meet with the club to discuss these four possible bills that may be proposed by his organization at the state legislature.

Rep. Deutsch discussed the recent coverage of Planned Parenthood in the media and the videos being uploaded to YouTube via The Center for Medical Progress group, encouraging students to look into the coverage of the issue.

Legislature in Pierre begins mid-January and, later that month, the bills will likely be proposed to the legislature.

In addition to Rep. Deutsch being invited to the meeting, Alex Nagel, a junior and treasurer for the club, also reached out to members of College Democrats, inviting them to join their meeting. Two members of College Democrats attended the meeting.

As for what is typically discussed meeting to meeting, Nagel says that it can vary with what the club is most recently involved with.

“Generally, it varies exactly what’s discussed. We’ll get an overview of upcoming events for the coming weeks, things that we are involved in with,” he said. The club often fundraises and is involved in educational outreach on campus.

Meeting with executive members of the club and the general body of students, Rep. Deutsch said he would like to meet with the club again. He said he looks forward to the members possibly lobbying for the pieces of legislature he presented during the meeting in Pierre.

“I think the club members understand the different positions between those that support the life of the unborn baby versus the side that places emphasis on a woman’s right to control her own body,” Deutsch said. “I think they’re an exceptional club, and I was very impressed.”

The club’s next meeting is on Nov. 6, in the Pioneer Room in The Union.

“We’re certainly very excited to be on the campus here at SDSU,” club president Alec Weber said, “and we are looking for really passionate and open individuals to be more effective in the pro-life movement.”