Senate approves Jiu Jitsu and Pokemon club constitutions

SA

SA

The Students’ Association approved two student organization constitutions Monday night and reported what was discussed at the South Dakota Board of Regents meeting last week.

Constitutions for the Jacks Jiu Jitsu and the Pokemon Club were approved by SA.

Jacks Jiu Jitsu is a club for students to practice jiu jitsu. The club will start with student leaders as instructors.

The Pokemon Club was organized by students to have a safe place to share their interests in Pokemon. The organization regularly meets in the Honors Hall basement each Tuesday at 6 p.m.

Vice President Matt Dahle reported to the Senate about what happened at the SDBOR meeting last week:

·      The General Activity Fee increase for food services fee was postponed until next March for SDSU students and administration to discuss.

·      The Performing Arts Center facility program passed.

·      The Alcohol Sales Task Force was pushed off until March.

·      Minnesota reciprocity was eliminated. Minnesota tuition will stay at the same level it is at now, but will be outside of reciprocity.

·      The Child of Alumni program is still being investigated. The program would allow children of alumni from any institution in South Dakota to get in-state tuition prices to any public institution in South Dakota.

·      The cost of attendance stipend for student-athletes is still being discussed. SDSU is trying to have the cost be covered by donor money.

·      Graduate teaching assistants and research assistants will not have to pay a tuition fee because stipends they typically receive will cover tuition instead. The students will still have to pay the GAF.

Finance Chair Nick Reagan also informed senators that an email will be going out to student organization leaders which are funded by SA. The email will be sent by finals and will discuss how a formal request must be submitted by the organizations funded by SA to receive funding the next year.

The rest of the meeting on Monday focused on the resolution supporting students of color and others at the University of Missouri. You can find the article about the debate here.

The next SA meeting will be January 11, 2016 at 7 p.m. in the Lewis and Clark room in The Union.