Einstein Bros. Bagels bought out by Caribou; SDSU location to see changes

The South Dakota State Einstein Bros. Bagels location will see a slow transition this semester to incorporate Caribou Coffee menu items.

Einstein Bros. Bagels in the Student Union will soon get a makeover as the bagel-making company co-brands with Caribou Coffee.

JAB Holding Co., majority owner of Caribou Coffee and other coffee companies, bought Einstein Noah Restaurant Group Inc. for $374 million. As a result, Einstein and Caribou will co-brand at Einstein locations across the United States, including the SDSU location.

Students will still be able to order the same bagels and shmear combinations they have grown accustomed to. What will change is that Caribou coffee will be served in place of Einstein coffee and beverages. Soups will be taken off the menu.

Small transitions will be made throughout the spring semester and into next year, said Robert McLean, University Food Service Advisory Committee (UFSAC) member and Students’ Association senator.

The change is happening more at the “corporate level” according to JoLee Frederiksen, Jacks Dining general manager. She said there is no timeline available for when the SDSU location will become co-branded.

“This is going to be a slow transition,” McLean said, “nothing drastic by any means.”