Final concert in Brookings concert series welcomes SDSU students back to Brookings

KATHERINE CLAYTON Editor-in-Chief

The sun is setting on the Downtown Brookings free summer concert series.

The final concert of Downtown at Sundown will be from 5 to 9 p.m. Aug. 25. It takes place on Fifth Street between the Brooking Register and Wooden Legs Brewery. A portion of Fifth Street between the two businesses closes for the celebration.

“We always do the last concert when school comes back to town like as a goodbye to summer, unfortunately, but also a welcome back to all of the SDSU stu-dents,” said Elliot Johnson, executive director of Downtown Brookings Inc.

The concert series opens with local talent and is followed by the main performance of the night.

The final headliner for the concert series is SGT Rock, comprised of members from the 147th Army Band of the South Dakota Army National Guard. Con-cert-goers can expect a variety of current hits, country chart toppers and classic rock.

The seven-week concert series began in 2015, and has had about 526 people attend each night. This summer, according to Johnson, about 1,100 people attended the seven concerts beginning in mid-July.

In addition to music, the concert offers other attractions.

“We have inflatables, face painting, craft beer, domestic beer, a lot of great food from the downtown businesses, so we like to think we hit ages 2 to 100 all in one night,” Johnson said.

The second year of the concert series has proved to be a success in Johnson’s eyes and has been well-received by the Brookings community.

“It’s becoming a really dynamic opportunity for the community to enjoy the quality of life we have in Brookings,” he said. “I think that is something we can always appreciate when we put on events like this.”

Other events Johnson encourages students to look for in Brookings is Creativity Week, which is hosted Sept. 26 through Oct. 2. During that week, TEDx-Brookings is held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 1 at the Performing Arts Center. TEDxBrookings is an intellectual forum to share ideas.

Overall, Johnson said the con-cert series is another way to bring the Brookings community and South Dakota State students together.

“For SDSU students,” Johnson said, “it’s that opportunity to kick off a full year’s worth of being here in Brookings, South Dakota.”