Campus receives first sexual assault warning of the year

MAKENZIE HUBER Editor-in-Chief

The South Dakota State University campus received a timely warning notification Friday, Aug. 25 of a sexual assault that occurred earlier that day. The sexual assault is the first reported this year and occurred only four days into the start of the semester.

The assault was reported by the victim and took place at an on-campus residence at Young Residence Hall.

According to the notification sent to students, the victim was female and she knew the suspect. The suspect was arrested.

The University Police Department is investigating the case.

The email containing the timely warning was sent out campus wide. The Jeanne Clery Act obligates SDSU and other universities to inform students of any crime that occurs on or around the campus.

The timely warning contained information to help report assault and crime in the future as well as steps to prevent sexual assault. A resource mentioned in the timely warning is Jackrabbits Guardian, a smartphone app designed to connect students directly with UPD. Individuals who have been assaulted are encouraged to report to the dean of students at (605)-688-4493 or the Title IX Coordinator at (605)-688-4128.

UPD can be contacted by dialing 111 from a campus phone or 911 from a cellphone. The UPD non-emergency number is (605)-688-5117.