Jacks drop three of four games in Florida

Carson Herbert, Sports Reporter

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. — Three out of four games were lost by the South Dakota State baseball team in the Snowbird Invitational Feb. 22 – 24 against Florida International and Northeastern.

Sophomore left-handed pitcher Logan Allen, who started for Florida International on Feb. 22, struck out 10 Jackrabbit batters in the opening game.

FIU’s bullpen almost completed a shutout after Allen was taken out after six innings pitched before a walk, an error and a wild pitch put the Jacks on the board in SDSU’s 4-1 loss.

Despite allowing just one run over five innings, junior right-handed pitcher Brady Stover was handed the loss due to a lack of run support from the offense.

The first doubleheader of the season for the Jacks took place on Feb. 23, where they faced both Florida International and Northeastern.

Two solo home runs, one by senior outfielder Logan Holtz and the other by junior infielder Braeden Brown fueled the Jacks to force a split in the two-game set by defeating the Panthers, 4-3. Florida International committed three errors and let an early 2-0 lead in the early going get away from them.

There was a combined 26 hits between SDSU and Northeastern in the second game on Feb. 23. But three errors proved to be costly for the Jacks as seven unearned runs crossed the plate for Northeastern in a 12-9 Jackrabbit loss.

Brown continued his strong weekend by going 3-for-5 with an RBI. Junior outfielder Landon Badger drove in three runs off of two hits in the loss.

A back-and-forth battle concluded the weekend for both the Jacks and Northeastern. After junior infielder Josh Falk gave the Jacks a 2-0 lead with a two-run single in the third inning, Northeastern responded with a pair of doubles in the fifth inning to take a 3-2 lead.

Northeastern extended the lead with two more runs later in the inning. It was a wild finish to the game as Northeastern stretched its lead to 8-3 in the seventh. The Jacks rallied by scoring four runs to cut the deficit to one.

The momentum changed once again in the eighth inning when Northeastern scored five runs, which would be enough to finish the Jacks.

SDSU fell to 3-4 on the season after the disappointing weekend and will open up March against Central Arkansas in Conway, Arkansas on March 1.