Jacks breeze past UT Martin in season opener

Back to Article
Back to Article

Carson Herbert, Sports Reporter

Russellville, Ark. – 15 unanswered runs until the final inning propelled the South Dakota State Jackrabbits to a 15-3 win over the University of Tennessee Martin.

Strong performances at the plate by several Jackrabbit hitters in addition to a solid first start by junior right-handed ace Brady Stover helped the Jacks cruise passed the Skyhawks.

Stover, who went 3-2 in nine starts last season, lasted five innings while giving up just two hits and striking out nine batters to earn the win Friday.

After a scoreless first for the Jackrabbit offense, SDSU scored 11 runs in the next three innings to take a commanding lead.

Junior first baseman Josh Falk and freshman third baseman Luke Ira each went 3-for-5 and Falk drove in four runs and hit one of three Jackrabbit home runs in the game.

Ira was one home run shy of a cycle in his first career collegiate game.

UT Martin scored three runs in the bottom of the ninth inning, ending the Jacks’ hopes of a shutout.

Up next for the Jacks is the second of three games in their opening series Saturday against UT Martin. First pitch is set for 1 p.m. at Tech Field on the campus of Arkansas Tech.

Note: 15 runs is the most runs put up by the Jacks since they scored 18 runs against Western Illinois on May 6, 2017 at Erv Huether Field.