Softball splits games in Florida

Back to Article
Back to Article

Softball splits games in Florida

FILE PHOTO
Junior Baily Janssen swings during the game September 25, 2016. The SDSU softball team is 21-10 on the season and will play South Dakota April 7 and 8 in Sioux Falls.

FILE PHOTO Junior Baily Janssen swings during the game September 25, 2016. The SDSU softball team is 21-10 on the season and will play South Dakota April 7 and 8 in Sioux Falls.

Trenton Abrego, Sports Editor

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A 9-7 win over Colgate and a 10-8 loss against North Florida, dropped the South Dakota State softball team to 4-3 on the season.

The Jackrabbits are competing in the University of Northern Florida Osprey/Dolphin Invitational in Jacksonville, Florida.  These were the first two games out of five the team will play in.

Colgate

In the first game, SDSU weathered a four-run third inning from the Colgate Raiders with its own three-run inning.

Emma Hardin started the game, throwing into the third inning but it was Morgan DeMarais earned the win. DeMarais came in for relief and threw four and a 1/3 innings.

Senior right fielder Lyndsey Crist led the way for the Jackrabbit bats with two hits and three RBIs. Crist also hit a home run.

Senior first baseman Ali Herdliska was 2-for-4 at the plate with an RBI.

It wasn’t just the seniors who had a good day at the plate.

Sophomore left fielder Allison Beaudry hit her first career home run. Freshman center fielder Caelyn Christiancy.

North Florida

Despite putting forth a six-run fourth inning effort and having a seven-run lead, the Jacks allowed seven unanswered runs, before eventually giving up a three-run eighth inning that sunk South Dakota State.

Senior infielder, Yanney Ponce had a day at the plate, having four hits in four plate appearances. The Jackrabbits had nine hits.

Taylor Compton pitched all seven and 2/3 of the innings and was charged with the loss.

South Dakota State is now 0-2 against North Florida.

Up next, the Jackrabbits will take on the Colgate Raiders and Jacksonville Dolphins Saturday, Feb. 16.

About the Writer
Trenton Abrego, Sports Editor

Trenton Abrego is the Sports Editor at the Collegian. He sometimes covers Students' Association and reviews albums. He is the Collegian Dip-off champion...