Soccer adds six new recruits in offseason

Natalie Hilden, Sports Reporter

Thompson’s Take: head coach talks recruitment and new additions

The end of the women’s soccer season means saying goodbye to a senior class and hello to a newly signed incoming class of freshmen.

Head coach Brock Thompson announced earlier this postseason that women’s soccer has signed six incoming freshmen for the 2019 season.

“It is an inexact science,” Thompson said. “I have to give a lot of credit to our assistant coaches Andy [Janssen] and Caylee [Costello]. They do a lot of work in maintaining during the process.”

Thompson and the rest of the staff involved in the recruiting process not only make sure athletes are a good fit for their program, but to make sure SDSU is a good fit for them. Thompson looks to find athletes who represent the values he has instilled in his team culture: Family, growth, and true mental toughness.

“Our core values are a part of it,” Thompson said. “We pride ourselves on our athletes being able to develop here, and it is a two-way street.”

The newest six Jacks are Jocelyn Tanner, Regan Anderson, Delaney Grant, Maureen (Mo) Tolley, Maya Hansen and Emily Cameron. Here is a closer look at each:

Jocelyn Tanner, Goalkeeper, Ham Lake, Minnesota from Champlin Park High School.

Jocelyn Tanner will follow a legacy of previous talent produced by the Minnesota Thunder Academy (MTA) as she joins the Jacks. She follows previous Jackrabbit standouts Annie Williams, Jennie Scislow, Tori Poole and others who also came from the same club before their careers at SDSU.

“It’s really neat to see her be the next in line,” Thompson said.

Tanner has been a four-year academic letter winner and a member of the national honor society. She is ranked first in her graduating class of 693. Tanner also received AP Scholar with Distinction honors during the 2017-18 year.

Tanner is undecided in what she plans to major in at SDSU.

She was a 2017 all-conference honorable mention and posted a 1.78-goals-against average during her junior season at Champlin Park.

“She is a great shot stopper who works really hard at her craft,” Thompson said.

Reagan Anderson,  Midfielder and Defender, Omaha, Nebraska from Elkhorn South High School

Reagan Anderson is a versatile addition who has the ability to play as a defender or midfielder. Anderson played for Elkhorn South High School and competed with her club team Gretna Prima Green out of Nebraska.

Anderson plans to major in biology and was an academic all-state and all-conference pick (2018) and a National Honors Society and Academic Honor Roll member during her high school career.

Anderson netted five goals in 2018 as a junior and was a two-time first team all-conference recipient (2017-18).

According to Thompson, Anderson brings knowledge of the sport mixed with athleticism.

“She has a great soccer brain,” Thompson said.

Delaney Grant, Defender, Omaha, Nebraska from Millard North High School

Delaney Grant, another Nebraskan, brings valuable qualities to SDSU’s defensive line. She is a defender who can also play in the center back position.

Grant is a four-year letter winner at Millard North High School in Omaha, Nebraska. She helped her high school team post 14 shutouts during back-to-back seasons. She was a state champion in 2018 with runner-up finishes in 2016-17.

Grant is a four-year academic honor roll and academic letter winner, earning the Outstanding Student Award in 2016. She is undecided in what she will major in at SDSU.

She follows graduating seniors Annie Williams and Hannah Evans and will fill an attacking defender position. Thompson thinks Grant can fill the void in that back line.

Thompson puts Delany and fellow recruit Emily Cameron into the same play style category as previous defenders Williams and Evans, because of their ability to push up the defensive line and play further up on the field.

“She is very cerebral and reads the game well,” Thompson said. “We are excited to bring her ability and leadership to our team.”

Maureen (Mo) Tolley | Midfielder | Omaha, Neb. | Marian High School

Mo Tolley is a center midfielder from Omaha. She brings a strong ability to read balls in the air and quickly adapt to the game.

Tolley plans to major in business at SDSU and is a part of the National Honor Society, including being a part of National Honor Society, NHS of Science & Social Studies member. She also received a 2018 All-State Academic Honor Roll selection

She won a 2017 State Championship with Marian high school. She also helped her club team, Gretna Prima Green, capture a 2018 State Cup.

Thompson says that Tolley is going to be valuable for the Jacks in the midfield. That she has a similar style to Kylie Nelson and will help fill the minutes after Nelson graduates.

“She is a ball-winning type,” Thompson said. “She is another Kylie Nelson just in a different kind of package.”

Maya Hansen, Forward, Savage, Minnesota from Burnsville High School

Maya Hansen has a strong goal-scoring mentality that she will hope to bring to the collegiate level. She plans to major in exercise science and play forward.

Hansen netted 61 goals and 19 assists in her high school career, finishing as the state’s leading Class AA scorer as a senior. She received the Outstanding Forward Award in her high school program for two consecutive years, with team MVP honors as a senior.

Hansen played club soccer with Maple Brook Premier and was a three-time South suburban all-conference player.

Thompson said that Hansen is an explosive attack player who has the ability to go 1-on-1 successfully. Her playing mentality will be valuable to the Jacks in the upcoming season.

“Any time you recruit a forward you hope they will be creating chances to score goals and I think Maya has a great chance at doing that,” Thompson said.

Emily Cameron | Defender | Louisville, Colo. | Monarch High School

Emily Cameron will be an addition to the Jacks’ defensive line playing as an attacking defender. Cameron plans to major in biology and is a four-year academic honor roll member with honors in math and science.

She played club soccer with Football Club Boulder and received a Desert Premier League title with her club team. Cameron helped push her high school team to a 2016 state championship with a state runner-up finish in 2018.

“We like to have our defenders attacking and playing forward on the field. I would take her as having an attacking type of play like the two of them [Williams and Evans],” Thompson said.

Thompson is ready to see what leadership abilities the incoming class brings to the team as a whole and has faith in them coming together to create the successful team culture Jack’s soccer is known for.

The Jacks hope to become better problem solvers during a constant changing game and conquer the Summit League as they have for the last two years.

“It is always interesting to see them become their own leadership group when we lose tremendous leaders,” Thompson said.

SDSU will continue its spring play Feb 24. With a doubleheader against St. Cloud State and Southwest Minnesota State University at the Sanford-Jackrabbit Athletic Complex.