Strong second quarter pushes Jacks past Oral Roberts

ABBY+FULLENKAMP%0A
Back to Article
Back to Article

ABBY FULLENKAMP

ABBY FULLENKAMP

Abby Fullenkamp

ABBY FULLENKAMP

Abby Fullenkamp

Abby Fullenkamp

ABBY FULLENKAMP

Trenton Abrego, Sports Editor

TULSA, Okla. – Four double-digits scorers sparked the South Dakota State women’s basketball team to a 74-65 win over Oral Roberts.  

Entering the second quarter, the Jackrabbits (17-6, 9-1) found themselves down 25 to 13.

That wouldn’t last long.

In the second quarter, SDSU outscored Oral Roberts (12-11, 5-5) 20 to three thanks to an 18-0 run. The Golden Eagles scored just one bucket the entire quarter courtesy of Keni Jo Lippe’s 3-pointer.  

SDSU found most of its success in the paint and outscored the Golden Eagles 42-16 from close range opportunities.

Macy Miller led the way for the Jacks yet again and scored 16 points en route to becoming the Summit League’s second-most career scorer.

Tylee Irwin (15 points), Myah Selland (13) and Paiton Burckhard (12) were the other top scorers for the Jackrabbits.

A key to victory for the Jackrabbits was not committing fouls. They succeeded.

Oral Roberts was unable to consistently find the free-throw line and shot just three attempts from beyond the arc, connecting on just one.

The story wasn’t the same for the Jackrabbits.

South Dakota State was able to get to the free-throw line where the team connected on 15 of its 16 attempts.

It wasn’t just getting to the free-throw line that helped out the Jackrabbits. South Dakota State held a 17 plus rebounding advantage over Oral Roberts (40-23).

Another reason for the Jackabbit success was keeping Lakota Beatty in check. Beatty came into the game averaging 14.8 points per game but scored eight points on 10 attempts.

Ever since they regained the lead the Jackrabbits didn’t slow down. At one point in the fourth quarter, the Jacks lead ballooned to as much as 24.

Up next, the Jackrabbits will play host to the North Dakota Fighting Hawks at 2 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 9.

About the Writer
Trenton Abrego, Sports Editor

Trenton Abrego is the Sports Editor at the Collegian. He sometimes covers Students' Association and reviews albums. He is the Collegian Dip-off champion...