Selland pushes Jacks past Pioneers

Trenton Abrego, Sports Editor

Make it six in a row.

Despite playing 21 minutes, it was Myah Selland’s 21-point performance that pushed South Dakota State Jackrabbits past the Denver Pioneers 83-68.

It wasn’t just Selland who contributed to the scoring attack.

Macy Miller (14 points) and Madison Guebert (13) were the other two Jackrabbits to score in double-figures.

Guebert made three 3-pointers for the Jackrabbits, and as a team, SDSU shot 37.5 percent from beyond the arc. Denver wasn’t able to match the sharp-shooting abilities of the Jackrabbits and shot at a 27 percent clip from three.

South Dakota State had 27 points of theirs come from beyond the arc, while Denver had 18.

In the first three minutes, the Jackrabbits ran out to a nine-point lead. Despite the early run, the Jackrabbits saw that nine-point cushion erased in the second half, when Denver tied the game at 23.

After the score was tied up at 23 with 7:56 to play in the second quarter, the Jackrabbits found their scoring groove again and spearheaded an 11-point run. The Jackrabbits never trailed the Pioneers.

Despite the Jackrabbits committing 15 turnovers, the Pioneers were unable to capitalize and had zero points off of turnovers. South Dakota State had 16 points off of 16 Denver turnovers.

Denver was led by freshman guard Tsimba Malonga, who had 15 points on ten attempts. Lauren Loven and Madison Nelson both scored 11 points to put together double-digit performances for the Pioneers.

Up next, South Dakota State will look to push their winning streak to seven when they head to Tulsa, Oklahoma to take on the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles.