Track and Field sweeps UND, hosts meets this weekend

MIRANDA+SAMPSON

MIRANDA SAMPSON

John Begeman, Sports Reporter

It was a sweep for the South Dakota State Jackrabbits who continued their indoor season winning a dual against the North Dakota Fighting Hawks Saturday, Jan. 12.

The men outscored the Fighting Hawks 93-54, while the women narrowly won 76-69.

The afternoon was full of first-place finishes and personal bests for both the men and women. The teams combined for 15 individual first-place finishes and won both the men’s and women’s 4x400m relay. 28 personal bests were either reset or tied.

Sophomore Colby Hilton trimmed 0.44 seconds off of his 200m time to win the race and claimed the school indoor record at (21.41) — a record that junior Sam Zenner had set one meet prior at (21.50).

Zenner won the 60m race with a time of (6.79), followed by Hilton’s (6.90) and freshman Emmanual Phoulom-Smith’s (6.95). All three runs rank among SDSU’s all-time top 10.

Junior Miatta Flemister-Smith won the 200m with a (25.11) as she trimmed 0.13 seconds off her previous best to bump up to No. 6 all-time at SDSU.

The Jacks dominated the long jump pit with both freshman Tre Manning and Bryant Courter placing first and second.

The women also dominated the long jump pit as sophomore Emma Stewart launched (17-feet-4.25-inches) to win and was followed by freshman Emily Altenburg’s (17-feet-2.75-inches).

It was a successful day for the throwers as senior Logan Ammons won the weight throw with a toss of (60-feet-3-inches) moving him to No. 3 all-time at SDSU. Sophomore Noah Huber won the shot put competition — launching the ball (55-feet-5.75-inches) and junior Micayla TerWee won the shot put throwing for (46-feet-.5 inches).

The Jacks will jump back into action with a busy weekend as they host both the SDSU Division II Invitational 1:30 p.m., Friday, Jan. 18 and the Jim Emmerich Invitational 12:30 p.m., Saturday, Jan 19. Both meets will be held in the Sanford Jackrabbit Athletic Complex in Brookings.