Wymer discusses changes to international nights

In the final Students’ Association meeting of the semester, Greg Wymer addressed concerns with students feeling ill after eating food at one of the international nights this semester.

Changes will be made with Aramark supervisors overseeing and taking temperatures of the food that is served at all international nights.

Wymer reported that he received an estimate of $3,500 per night, up from the previous $2,600 a night.

As a result of the costs, Wymer told SA to expect an increase for its request.

“(The) worst you can do is say ‘no,’ there are limited resources and we understand that,” Wymer told SA.

Proposed changes won’t change who prepares the food for international nights.

“The intent is not to take the students out of the kitchen,” Wymer said.

A potential club, the Social Circle, saw its constitution on the agenda, but instead of getting approved, it was tabled after concerns were brought up by senators.

“Our role in SA is just to kind of approve the sort of mission and purpose of the organization,” Sen. Nick Lorang, who made the motion to table the constitution. “But then looking through the constitution I just had some larger questions that weren’t caught earlier in the process.”

In its constitution, the club professes that the intended purpose of the club is “to encourage those with social apprehension to join a safe and comfortable environment that welcomes all students.”

The constitution in its entirety can be found here.

The constitution can receive edits and still be approved by SA. The club will be in contact with SA to understand what changes are necessary.

Sen. Amber Alvey, who serves on the parking committee shared that reserved parking spots in the Wagner lot for Purple Heart recipients are in the works. This decision was spearheaded after South Dakota State University has named the ninth Purple Heart Campus earlier this November.

According to Sen. Corey Berscheit, who represents the College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Science, there are fewer than 50 Purple Heart Universities.

Sen. Alvey is working on a resolution for next semester. She wanted to get SA’s feedback on the matter as the discussion the parking committee has left the door open for discussions with the idea of free parking passes.

In South Dakota, there are an estimated 200-300 recipients, with just one of those being female according to SA adviser Dr. Florencio Aranda III.

The Rodeo Club gave their Student Organization Report, where they informed SA of their budgeting.

Brody Jones, the president of the club and Shelby Spanel, the treasurer gave the report.

According to Jones, the rodeo receives $6,400 of their budgeted $18,000 from SA. Those funds are used for promotion, awards, running the Jackrabbit Stampede, calendars, merchandise and upgrade of arena and stable.

Last year, the Jackrabbit Stampede drew around 3,800 fans, which was down from the normal 4,000 that they drew in the two previous years.

SA will return after Christmas break for its first meeting of the spring semester at 7 p.m. on Jan. 7 in the Lewis and Clark Room of the Student Union.