WBB: Jacks hope to snap two-game losing streak

After dropping two contests in Las Vegas during the South Point Thanksgiving Shootout, the South Dakota State women’s basketball team looks to get back on track.

It will have two chances to do so over the next week, as the Jacks host the University of Wisconsin – Green Bay on Thursday, Nov. 29 and travel to face the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Tuesday, Dec. 4.

Green Bay

Regional rival Green Bay has had success against SDSU, owning four consecutive victories over the Jacks heading into Thursday’s matchup.

“We’ve had challenges the last few years their physicality,” SDSU head coach Aaron Johnston said. “They rebound and defend very well and are physical in those areas. We’ve been a little more finesse and that’s not an easy way to play against them so we’re going to have to be better.”

Over the years, the Phoenix have earned a reputation by winning games with a stifling defense.

This season is no different.

“They’re one of the best defensive teams in the country every year,” Johnston said. “They don’t let you score a lot of points and they make you work really hard for the shots you get.”

Green Bay enters Thursday with a record of 3-2 and holds the No. 4 ranking in the most recent CollegeInsider.com mid-major poll. The Phoenix are allowing just 50.6 points a game and has held its last two opponents under 40 points.

Balancing the offensive attack will be an area of emphasis moving forward for the Jackrabbits, who dropped from No. 2 to No. 7 in the mid-major poll after their performance in Las Vegas.

Johnston praised senior guards Macy Miller and Madison Guebert for their aggressive play and solid production but hopes to see the rest of his team rise up as the season moves forward.

“We need to make sure the rest of the team isn’t just differing (to Miller or Guebert),” he said. “We’re going to have to get a little more scoring off the bench and more playmaking outside of the first group too.”

The game is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 28 in Frost Arena.

Chattanooga

Yet another mid-major test awaits the Jackrabbits as they travel to Chattanooga, Tennessee on Dec. 4.

The Mocs own a 4-4 record and will play one more game before turning their focus to SDSU.

One of the Mocs’ losses this season is a 23-point thrashing at the hands of Central Michigan on Nov. 25, a team that SDSU went on the road and defeated 80-71 on Nov. 12.

However, Johnston believes his team will be in for a tough battle on the road.

“They have a little different style (than the other mid-majors SDSU has faced this season), but they’re the same caliber. They are used to winning,” he said.

Last Week’s Recap

Baylor

SDSU faced a tough matchup when it squared off with No. 4 Baylor, a team with a huge size advantage and one of the perennial powers in Division I women’s basketball.

The Jacks were up to the challenge.

Senior guard Madison Guebert led the way with _ points for the Jackrabbits, who stayed right with the Lady Bears the entire game, but eventually fell 72-66.

Buffalo

The night after falling to Baylor, the Jacks again came up just short against one of the top mid-major teams in the country — the University at Buffalo.

SDSU’s defense held the Bulls’ star guard Cierra Dillard to a season-low 20 points, but Buffalo made the plays necessary down the stretch and downed the Jacks 61-55.

“Both of those games could have been wins,” Johnston said. “On the positive side, we continue to prove we can play at a really high level. On the disappointing side, we came away with two losses … making the plays to get a win just didn’t happen.”