Jacks knocked down in first round of Florida Gulf Showcase

ABBY+FULLENKAMP%0A
Abby Fullenkamp
ABBY FULLENKAMP

ESTERO, Fla, – Make it two straight losses for the South Dakota State men’s basketball team, who fell to the Tulane Green Wave 84-80 in the first round of the Florida Gulf Showcase.

At the 11:37 mark in the first half, the Jackrabbits led by as much as 11 points – their biggest of the game. Tulane stormed back and flipped the script.

During the 11:46 mark of the second half, the Green Wave led by as many as 10 points.

It wouldn’t stay that way for Tulane.

South Dakota State marched back and regained the lead with under a minute and a half to play.

Tulane slammed the door on the Jackrabbits with a 6-0 run in the final 16 seconds of the game.

“We got to find a way to come out with a win there,” SDSU head coach T.J. Otzelberger said in a post-game interview.

Summit League Preseason Player of the Year Mike Daum led the way for the Jackrabbits. Daum scored 28 points, 13 rebounds and two assists. Daum fouled out in the second consecutive game.

Daum is now 17 points away from surpassing Nate Wolters as the leading scorer in the program’s history.

Sophomore David Jenkins, Jr. contributed 23 points three rebounds and four assists. Jenkins connected on three three-pointers.

Tevin King had nine points, 11 rebounds and five assists.

The four freshmen combined for 10 points.

As a team, the Jackrabbits struggled to connect from the charity stripe and shot just 58 percent.

“We left some (points) on the floor,” Otzelberger said. “Can’t leave those points on the board.”

Up next, it’ll be a quick turnaround for the Jackrabbits. Since they lost, SDSU will now face off with the loser of the UTSA-UC Irvine game at 10 a.m.