Jackrabbits routed in second dual of the season

A young dual team for South Dakota State was unable to find success in Frost Arena on Saturday night, where they dropped a 45-6 decision to the No. 4 Oklahoma State Cowboys.

The night began with South Dakota State freshman Gregory Coapstick’s matchup against Oklahoma State junior Nick Piccinini at the 125-weight class, which ended in a 16-1 technical fall for Oklahoma.

That set the tone for the entire night.

It wasn’t until the 149-weight class when the Jackrabbits won their first and only match of the night. No. 17 Henry Pohlmeyer defeated No. 5 Boo Lewallen by injury default.

“Henry Pohlmeyer continues to impress while he’s out there. Unfortunately, someone got hurt. We don’t want that, but it does happen,” SDSU head coach Damion Hahn said in a post-match interview.

He went on to say more about Pohlmeyer and his potential.

“He [Pohlmeyer] is going to be a force to be reckoned with all year long and I am looking forward to big things from him.”

Saturday also marked the first collegiate dual for Oklahoma State redshirt freshman Daton Fix, who went on to beat sophomore Spencer Huber with a 19-1 technical fall in the second period of during the 133-weight class match.

While the bout was originally going to have Seth Gross face off against Fix, he was ultimately swapped with Huber due to a back injury. Gross is reportedly eyeing a December return.

“He started this week having a couple of good days and then we had a little bit of a setback. So, I basically told him he’s not wrestling.” Hahn said. “As we move forward, and you guys get to know me a little bit better, I will not put my athlete out there if he is not comfortable or 100 percent.”

The Jackrabbits will have their next dual against the University of Minnesota Gophers at 1 p.m. on Saturday, November 25 at the Maturi Pavilion in Minneapolis.