Former Jacks make a difference, break records in Week 8

VINATIERI
VINATIERI

The NFL has a new all-time scoring leader.

After a 25-yard field goal against the Oakland Raiders, Adam Vinatieri became the leading scorer in the league.

Vinatieri, who now has 2,550 points, passed placekicker Morten Andersen who had previously held the record since 2006.

Vinatieri played for the Jackrabbits from 1991-94 where he made 104 career extra points, 27 career field goals and 185 career kicking points. Vinatieri was selected to the all-North Central Conference three times and was named a Division-II All-American in his senior season.

The former Rapid City Central Cobbler and South Dakota State Jackrabbit is also the uncle to Chase Vinatieri, the current placekicker for the Jackrabbits.

“I was really happy for him, in a corny sense I was kind of proud like a dad would be proud,” Stiegelmeier said.

But Vinatieri wasn’t the only former Jackrabbit who made a difference in Week 8.

Over in London, for the Philadelphia Eagles, Dallas Goedert caught his third career touchdown in the NFL.

Goedert had one reception on as many targets for 32 yards. This season, the former Jack has 18 receptions for 188 yards and three touchdowns.

Production for Goedert has been overshadowed by the top tight end and teammate, Zach Ertz, who leads the NFL for tight ends in yards and receptions.  

Another Jackrabbit who saw playing time in Week 8 was Bryan Witzmann.

Witzmann signed with the Chicago Bears on Oct. 8, 2018 and played a role in their 24-10 win over the New York Jets.

Starting guard Kyle Long appeared to injure his right ankle during the contest paving way for Witzmann to be active for the first time in his Bears career.