Brown brothers find a home at SDSU

MIRANDA+SAMPSON
MIRANDA SAMPSON
MIRANDA SAMPSON

Senior cornerback Jordan Brown has had an excellent career as a member of the South Dakota State football team. In 41 career games, he has 130 tackles, three forced fumbles and seven interceptions.

He isn’t the only one from the Brown family who is having a successful career at SDSU.

His brother, Jacob, is a junior wide receiver who has 22 receptions for 240 yards and four touchdowns in 26 career games.

Jordan and Jacob are from Scottsdale, Arizona, where they played two years together at Paradise Valley High School.

Jordan played mostly wide receiver in high school, but linebackers coach Jimmy Rogers thought Jordan would be able to play cornerback at South Dakota State, so he told the Jacks cornerbacks coach Dan Jackson about him.

“We watched his film and loved his fluidity and athleticism,” Jackson said. “We knew he was going to be a project to have him play corner and when we had him up for his official visit, we hit it off.”

Jordan redshirted his freshman season. Jackson said when Jordan first arrived he was very raw.

“When he first came in, there were a lot of times, where he could’ve quit …He came in as a guy who couldn’t cover or tackle as a freshman to being able to tackle as a redshirt freshman,” Jackson said. “Last year, he took his biggest strides as far as his development, confidence and leadership.”

Jackson said they knew they wanted to pursue Jacob right after Jordan came to SDSU, and since the Brown brothers were so close it wasn’t very hard to convince Jacob to commit to the Jackrabbit football program.

“I was probably the main reason he came here, honestly,” Jordan said. “I don’t think he would’ve came here if it weren’t for me.”

The two have a bond both on and off the field and Jackson said that he can tell that their relationship is special.

“I’m envious of their relationship to be honest,” Jackson said. “They’re closer than I am with my brothers.”

Jordan said there’s no better feeling than playing alongside his brother.

“When he makes a good play, I’m the first guy cheering for him, even if it’s against the defense in practice or a catch on me,” Jordan said. “Every time he makes a play in a game, it gives me chills.”

Jordan is considered a National Football League draft prospect and Jackson said he could go down as one of the best players in South Dakota State history, but Jacob doesn’t want to take for granted his time left playing football with his brother.

“We got closer being here,” Jordan said. “He’s my everything, he’s my best friend. I can talk to him about anything. So it’s definitely a close knit relationship and I love him.”