Women’s soccer bounces back with two wins

Women’s soccer team comes off this past week with a pair of wins against Wayne State and Drake. The final scores were 8-0 against Wayne State and 1-0 against Drake.

“[I] thought we had a good weekend, but I’m especially proud really of the growth in the week of training leading up to the weekend,” said head coach Brock Thompson on the past week of games. 

These wins come following a tough first week of losses against Minnesota, Iowa State and Kansas, with the scores of those being 1-2, 0-2, and 0-3, respectively.

“That week in practice, that we used to prepare in between Kansas and Wayne State, was so important, like Brock talked about. Even when we got out on the field on Tuesday, it was just, like, a different mindset,” said senior defender Annie Williams.

Now, the Jacks will try to keep the momentum going this weekend. 

“The challenge for us now is to make sure we have the same amount of growth this week as we head into another challenging weekend,” Thompson said. 

Junior Leah Manuleleua was named the Summit League Offensive Player of the Week on Monday. 

Manuleleua performed the ninth hat trick in the history of the program and is the first to score three or more goals in a game since Diana Potterveld in 2012.

This is Manuleleua’s third weekly honoring, with the other two coming in 2017.

The Jackrabbits will continue with their next home game 6 p.m., Friday, Aug. 31 against Green Bay, and the following game will start 1 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 2 against Creighton, both at the Fishback Soccer Park.