Senate discusses bike-share in final meeting of semester

Students’ Association had its final meeting of the 2017-18 year this week and focused heavily on bike-share brainstorming.

Open forum featured a presentation from a representative of the bike-share company Spin.

Senate talked at length comparing Spin to VeoRide, another bike-share company SDSU is considering.

The body also brainstormed how campus and the community would be educated about proper bike use, how to enforce rules and build infrastructure to support a bike-share program on campus andor in Brookings.

The rest of open forum was informational presentations for Senate. Sen. Jennifer Mueller gave a rundown on parliamentary procedure and veteran Sen. Nick Lorang walked through resolution writing with the body. Lorang also presented on the Higher Learning Commission accreditation process SDSU is in.

Every 10 years, universities must be reaccredited by the HLC to grant financial aid and for degrees from the institution to be valid. Groups have already been at work on the reaccreditation process for a year and will continue into fall 2019 when a HLC Peer Review Corps group visits campus to evaluate.

The University Activity Fee and Budget Committee approved the FY19 general budget SA put forth a couple weeks ago. Now, Student Affairs and President Dunn just need to approve it.

Students’ Association will be back in action in the fall at its usual time and place: 7 p.m. Monday evenings in the Lewis and Clark room in the upper level of the Student Union.