SDSU takes out Denver 76-68 to advance to the National Tournament

Evan Patzwald
SDSU men’s basketball team celebrate with the the trophy after defeating Denver 76-68.

A last-minute comeback for Denver was unsuccessful as SDSU beat Denver in the Summit League Championship 76-68.
In this battle, five South Dakota State basketball players scored at least ten points: Zeke Mayo (16 points), Luke Appel (16 points), William Kyle III (15 points), Kalen Garry (11 points) and Matt Mims (11 points).
“We got incredible players,” said head coach Eric Henderson. “I’m so proud of our guys and as an educator and a teacher, there is really nothing better than watching young people grow and believe in each other.”
In Mayo’s 16-point game, he shot 5-7 from three (5-9 on field goals), tying his season-high three-point makes. The guard from Kansas also added six rebounds and three assists to his resume.
Earning his fifth double-double of the season was Kyle III, adding 11 boards to his stat line, leading both teams. The sophomore’s performance this tournament earned him Summit League MVP of the tournament.
Off the bench, Garry added four assists and four rebounds to his 11 points. Five of his 11 came from the free throw line.
That kid [Garry] is a ‘dawg’,” stated Appel regarding Garry in the postgame press conference.
Overall, the Jacks shot 46.4% on total shots, 39.1% from three and 68.2% from the line. Mims, Garry and Kyle III all shot from the charity stripe six times a piece, with Mims hitting 100% percent of his free throws.
Throughout the game, South Dakota State led the entire time.
Mayo, Kyle III and Appel all made the Summit League All-Tournament team.
For Denver, it was Jaxo Brenchley who led the team in points with 20 on the night followed by Tommy Bruner with 17. Bruner joins Mayo, Kyle III and Appel on the All-Tournament team.
Deandre Craig led the Pioneers in assists with eight while Brenchley led the team in rebounds with nine, a board short of a double-double himself.
Denver’s late-stage comeback came from down 23 points with just 8:33 to go in the second half and the closest score was within five.
South Dakota State punched their ticket to the big dance and will find out their opponent for the first round of March Madness on Sunday at 6 p.m. ET.