SDSU outlasts St. Thomas; advance to Summit League Championship

Evan Patzwald
Charlie Easley celebrates around St. Thomas defenders.

SDSU returns to the conference championship after a 59-49 battle with the Tommies of St. Thomas.
Throughout the game, both sides racked up 30 total fouls (14 for SDSU and 16 for St. Thomas) which ties the Summit League record for most fouls in a game during the 2023-24 season.
“I think we are two of the more physical teams in the league [Summit League],” said head coach Eric Henderson. “I know when you look at it analytically, we’re two of the best defensive teams in the league as well and I think we both stand for very, very similar things. I think we look at the game very similarly.”
SDSU forward Luke Appel had himself a night, scoring 10 points while rebounding the ball six times and dishing six total assists (a season-high for the redshirt senior). Appel went 4-7 from the field this evening while shooting 100% from deep (2-2).
“It’s feeling good [how Appel’s shooting ability is feeling],” said Appel in a press conference after the game. “I won’t lie, the second one was really lucky, I just kind of threw it up there.”
St. Thomas did a good job keeping Jackrabbit Zeke Mayo locked down. The guard went 3-10 on the night and finished with five rebounds.
Though ending the first half 1-5 and with three points, Charlie Easley found his rhythm near the end, leading the Jacks in scoring with 13 points, rebounds with eight and steals with two.
Summit League Defensive Player of the Year William Kyle III had more blocks than every other player on either team combined with two.
Kyle III also finished the night going 4-4 from the field.
For St. Thomas, it was Kendall Blue who led the team in scoring, tied with Easley scoring 13 points.
Raheem Anthony led the Tommies in assists and rebounds with four assists and nine boards. The guard also scored seven points, going 3-8 from the field.
Of SDSU’s 59 points, 22 of them came from the paint and 10 from the bench. In this low-scoring match, the Jacks finished the night shooting 43.8% from the field, 36% from beyond the arc and 72.7% from the charity stripe. Both the field goal and three-point percentages are lower than their season average.
SDSU will return to the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center tomorrow night for the Summit League Championship against No. 7 Denver. Tipoff for the Championship is at 8:30 p.m.