Bangladesh Night showcases diversity in Brookings

Members+of+the+musical+choir+perform+at+Bangladesh+night+Sunday%2C+March+3+in+the+Volstroff+ballroom+for+their+annual+Bangladesh+night.+
Mickale Dohrer
Members of the musical choir perform at Bangladesh night Sunday, March 3 in the Volstroff ballroom for their annual Bangladesh night.

The Bangladesh Club hosted their annual Bangladesh Night in the Volstorff Ballroom Sunday, March 3. The event showcased Bangladeshi culture and reinforced the good connection between Bangladesh and International students with South Dakota State University and the Brookings community. The event highlighted important aspects of Bangladeshi culture. Traditional Bangladeshi dances, songs, food and clothing were all put on full display.
The event began with opening statements from important members of the South Dakota State and Brookings community. One of the speakers was mayor of Brookings, Ope Niemeyer and another included the President of the Bangladesh Club, Karabi Saha.
Saha said that the event “introduced our culture and they are proud to share that with Brookings and SDSU.”
Following the speakers, dinner was served. The dishes served include Chot Poti, Polao, Goat Curry, Bangladeshi mixed vegetables, Egg Korma and Rice Pudding called Firni.
After dinner, a musical choir performed and other dances, songs, and even a fashion show was performed and showcased the Bangladeshi culture.
Mohanmad Maruf Billah, a Bangladeshi student here at SDSU was also in attendance. Billah said his favorite part of Bangladesh Night was the traditional song and dance performed.
Saha said that the most difficult part in running an event like this is “coordinating with everyone and doing it correctly.”
Saha also said that another difficult part in running an event like this is “putting on a good show, but enjoying yourself while you do it.”
The event brought SDSU and Brookings together with Bangladeshi students and international students in general. Events like this are to create an environment that helps give international students a better atmosphere, according to Saha.
Saha said that events like this help give a community to international students.
To create a better environment for international students more events like this are needed.
“More opportunities to showcase our sports would be a good step in showcasing different culture,” Billah said.
Kirsten Linke, head of International Student Offices, was also in attendance. Linke’s favorite part about the event was the food and the student efforts in running the event. While Linke enjoyed the event, she also believes in the value of events like these. Linke said that events like these are important for SDSU and the Brookings community because it gives an opportunity for students to share their culture and showcase what makes their culture special.
Billah said one thing that shocked him about America is the difference in the food, and the lack of traditional clothing. Many international students face similar shocks that Billah faces. Saha also faced similar culture shocks when coming to America. Saha said one shocking thing about South Dakota was how cold the weather was.
Many international students feel that SDSU and the Brookings community are very welcoming towards them. Saha said that everyone is very nice and welcoming.