The Brookings Regional Humane Society struggles after three animal hoarding cases

The Brookings Regional Humane Society is struggling to recover after dealing with three animal hoarding cases in 2023.
Months later, a strain on the Humane Society caused them to take in 31 more animals in addition to normal intakes when the Humane Society only has only nine kennels.
Maia Moore, executive director of the Humane Society, is the only full-time employee who handles shelter operations.
“It’s difficult to get our feet back underneath us,” Moore said. “The last few months have been challenging especially. It has dramatically impacted our ability to take in animals from the rest of the community.”
The Humane Society still has half of the animals from the hoarding cases, Moore said.
Animal hoarders are known as someone who has a large number of animals in which they fail to provide nutrition, sanitary condition, and veterinary care, and they fail to act on the deteriorating condition of the animals and their environment.
The most recent hoarding case occurred in late December when the Brookings County Sheriff’s Department and Brookings County Animal Control responded to reports of animal neglect. Authorities found 11 dogs living in harmful conditions and all were sent to the Humane Society.
The back-to-back-to-back neglect intakes forces the Humane Society to turn away additional animals. Since the Humane Society works through any behavioral or medical needs, it causes a strain on staffing, time, space and funds.
“We aren’t set up to take in 20 dogs, so we are all hands-on deck until the crisis passes,” Moore says. “Which it has not since these started.
This has had a huge financial effect on the Humane Society as well.
“Every animal needed a great amount of medical care such as vaccines, deworming and spay and neuter,” Moore said.
Dick Peterson is treasurer on the Brookings Humane Society Board of Directors. He said the 2023 financial report shows $19,391.57 was spent on medical expenses. It was one of the organization’s biggest expenses.
Brianna Johnson, president of the board of directors, said, “We have to rely heavily on our amazing foster network to help us house the dogs from the hoarding cases until they are ready for adoption.”
Some dogs aren’t a good fit for a foster home or have extra medical needs. Johnson said many animals have to stay in the Humane Society’s facility and may occupy a kennel for some time.
“We will have some animals from these cases in our care and it drastically limits us,” she said. “While we are proud to provide the care for the animals in the hoarding cases, the fact that it prevents the Humane Society from assisting the broader Brookings community weights heavy on all our hearts.”
The issue of too little space can’t be solved quickly for the Humane Society, but Johnson said a good way for others to make an immediate impact on the organization is to donate money.
Large intakes like the hoarding cases put a strain on the budget. Donations help pay for supplies, food, medication, building rent and equipment.
“We have a great community and many groups of people who have stepped up to support us,” Johnson said. “I want to make sure they know how much that means to the people and animals of the Humane Society.”
Peterson said, “Community keeps us going.”