Interstate Series

Jackrabbits take lead in rivalry series’ new era
South+Dakota+State%E2%80%99s+Madysen+Vlastuinn+puts+a+shot+up+over+South+Dakota%E2%80%99s+Tori+Deperry+during+their+matchup+Saturday%2C+Jan.+20+in+
Evan Patzwald
South Dakota State’s Madysen Vlastuinn puts a shot up over South Dakota’s Tori Deperry during their matchup Saturday, Jan. 20 in

South Dakota State is leading the First Interstate Bank Series with South Dakota in convincing fashion this year.
SDSU has a 8-3 lead after the Jacks sweep the Coyotes in both men and basketball teams.
This added four points to the SDSU score for the 2023-24 athletic seasons.
The men’s team defeated the Coyotes on Jan. 20 and Feb. 4. Meanwhile, the women’s team topped the yotes on Jan 20 and Feb 3.
There have been 11 total Interstate Series matchups and the Jacks have taken home the title six times. With only two more scheduled opportunities in the South Dakota Series to score points athletically, SDSU is looking to clinch its seventh title.
SDSU has won in the 2012-13, 2013-14, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, and 2022-23 seasons.
This matchup was first called the S.D. Showdown and was sponsored by South Dakota Corn before being crowned the Interstate Series.
The Interstate Series was established in 2012 to grow the SDSU and USD rivalry, First Interstate Bank created the “Interstate Series”. Teams can score points by winning a game and for academic performances. Basketball and football can score two points, while the remaining of athletics can only score one point.
SDSU Athletic Director, Justin Sell spoke on the intentions of creating the Interstate Series. Sell said that the three key notes of the Interstate Series are to promote sportsmanship amongst the teams, highlight academic success, and ultimately compete for South Dakota as a state.
“These are games that are really well attended from both fan bases…people show up and want to watch,” Sell said, “If you are putting out a trophy for something, I want to win it, and any week we play USD is important.”
The legacy behind the instate rivalry started years ago and continued to change from Division 2 to Division 1 era. The first time the Jacks and Coyotes faced off was in 1950 in football. As time has passed, the emphasis on sportsmanship has increased.
Women’s basketball coach Aaron Johnston said that when both teams were Division 2, the rivalry was very intense. Johnston mentioned that SDSU fans threw dead coyotes onto the court and USD fans tossed baby carrots at the SDSU bench.
As both teams moved to Division 1, the deep roots of the intense matchup continued, and the games became more personal. Johnston said that the environment in the gym feels different when the Jacks are playing the Coyotes.
Men’s basketball coach, Eric Henderson has faced the Coyotes for eight years three as an assistant coach and five as head coach.
“My favorite part of playing USD is that there is always a little bit more energy in the building…the traditions that go along with having an in-state rival always give me goosebumps.”, he said.
Interstate Bank wanted to increase the competitive experience for everyone involved with USD and SDSU athletics.
Henderson said, “There is a pride factor in having the name South Dakota and being able to represent it…people take to pride in calling it a blue state after beating USD.”
Coming up on Feb. 21-24 the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams have an opportunity to score points against the Coyotes at the Summit League Championships in Minneapolis.
Following directly after, the men’s and women’s track teams can also score points for the Interstate Series on Feb. 23-24 at the Summit League Championships in Fargo.
“Being in the same state you get to work with people from both schools and there are some families that have alumni from USD and SDSU,” said Sell. “I think that is cool and unique about the rivalry between the schools,” he said.